[argyllcms] Re: Causes of and remedy for black crush

  • From: Elle Stone <l.elle.stone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:54:10 -0400

> If I look at my monitor at 90 deg angle (ie I'm sitting exactly straight in
> front of it), the shadow details disappear. But when I move slightly to the
> sides, I can see details in the shadows again.

Being somewhat afraid of suggesting the obvious, but is it possibly
the case that your monitor itself is the culprit? Some monitors have
wider viewing angles than others, and when you change your angle of
view, it's as if the image had undergone a gamma correction.

For example, shadow detail in the monitor in our office is much darker
viewed straight on, than it is when shifting the point of view upwards
(e.g. stand up and look down at the monitor). Changing the point of
view on my low-end laptop results in completely silly changes in the
actual image colors, not to mention the amount of visible shadow
detail. In a pinch, the office monitor could be used for image
editing, the laptop, not really.

Elle