[argyllcms] Re: Camera profiling generation and blown highlights

  • From: Pascal de Bruijn <pmjdebruijn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:14:20 +0100

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Klaus Karcher <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Looks like the char was pretty much underexposed and your image rather
> overexposed.

Please see my comments below.

> "RGB(Y).pdf" shows neutral patches in your original TI3 file vs Y.

What does this mean? That my camera is not completely perfectly nonlinear?

> I scaled the RGB values in your TI3 file by 100/82.3096 (see attachment
> "CMP-test.ti3") and made some new profiles (e.g with colprof -u). The
> results are more feasible now (whereas the profile of course can't fix
> overexposure).

I have charts which are exposed more brightly, where the R13 patch is
up into the high nineties, and indeed with this brightly exposed chart
I'm not getting color artifacts in my highlights.

Your CMP-test.ti3 gave very similar results to my brightly exposed chart.

However, the problem with both is that images with either of those
profiles applied are darkish and contrastless. While the profile I
generated from the darker chart, applies just fantastic to a wide
variety or images, only the cyan color cast in the highlights are
problematic.

I don't expect the profile to "fix" my highlights... But I do expect
it, to not exacerbate the problem by making my clouds cyan.

Regards,
Pascal de Bruijn