[argyllcms] Camera profiles for artificial lighting

  • From: Stephen T <stwebvanuatu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ArgyllCMS <argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 05:01:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hello ArgyllCMS users,

I am pretty happy with my sunlight camera matrix profiles. In sunlight/daylight
and with appropriate white balance they give satisfactory accuracy (low delta
Es) and the colours look good.

In artificial lighting, my sunlight profiles are inaccurate and the colours can
look bad.

I am now making additional profiles for artificial lighting: tungsten and
fluorescent. I can't get low delta Es from colprof however.

What could be the problem(s)? Assume the input image and white balance are
good.

I am thinking that the white balance (equalizing of raw photo RGB) is not
satisfactory to "correct" strange light sources???

So a more detailed look-up table model is required to accurately transform to
the Profile Connection Space (I am using a ColorChecker SG with D50 reference
data)???

I would like to better understand the limitations of camera input profiles with
strange illuminants.

Stephen,