[argyllcms] Re: Building AryllCMS 1.3.3 on Ubuntu 11.10 (to be)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:42:54 +1000

Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
> As you might be aware I packaged Argyll 1.3.3 using the upstream Jam
> build files. I have a "user" who is trying to build my package sources
> on Ubuntu 11.10 (to be).
>
> I attached the build log of the failed build.

> The problem seems to lie in the fact that Ubuntu seems to have
> switched from GNU ld to the new faster Gold linker (by Google).

Hi,
        the appearance is simply that the core X11 library is missing,
ie. that the "-lX11" part isn't working. Is there something weird about
how xlib is being built ?

ie. does libX11.so actually contain the symbol XCreateGC ?

[It is probably xcb rather that xlib though - you may want to
 check how it's being built.]

> Does anybody have any experience with building Argyll with Gold? Any
> tips on how to deal with this?

As far as I can determine, there is no difference between the Gold based
Gnu linker and what came before it, apart from speed.

There is this though <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GoldIncompatibilities>.

Could it be something like libX11 being empty and relying on indirectly
linking to the xcb libraries ? I'd expect a lot of X11 applications to
break though, unless their build scripts have been updates to
explicitly link to xcb.