[argyllcms] Argyll DeviceLinks under Creative Commons licence

  • From: Jan-Peter Homann <homann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 11:19:06 +0100

Hello list,
In the graphics arts scene are more and more projects, which are using devicelink profiles for the optimizations of printing data. Reading the manual, Argyll has a lot of interesting features for this market (even if I miss some details like e.g. handling purities in CMYK_2_CMYKcolor conversions).

Graeme and other:
What do You think about the idea to calculate some devicelinks with argyll based on FOGRA / GRACoL / SWOP characterization-data and make them under a Creative Commons "Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works licence" public available.

The documentation for these Argyll devicelinks would include all parameters, how they have been created with Argyll.

This Argyll devicelinks could e.g. be send to PIA/GATF for the following project:

Printing
Industries of America/Graphic Arts Technical Foundation (PIA/GATF) is
conducting a new public research technology project (leading to a public
report) on ink optimization (a.k.a. ink saving, ink reduction)
technologies and products. We have already identified and approached
about 10 vendors who have commercially available products claiming to
improve ink saving for printing (Newspaper, Publication, Commercial,
etc.), but I am sure that there are solutions that we may have
overlooked, so I have decided to open the call to this list.

If you are a vendor of such a product (and I have not already made
contact with you), or as a user know of a product you want to make sure
that we do not overlook please feel free to e-mail me at
research@xxxxxxxxxxx

Regards
Jan-Peter

--