[argyllcms] Re: 1st post (improved estimation of blackpoint using a digital camera)

  • From: Knut Inge <knutinh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:05:21 +0100

I am assuming that my camera has unknown spectral properties, but that it is
linear over a wide range of input levels. My display has unknown spectral
properties and is non-linear.

If I made a display ramp from 0-255 in e.g. the "red" channel, and analyzed
the camera sensor response in its "red" channel. Even though absolute
brightness would be unknown, is it not sensible to believe that relative
brightness will be accurate? So if my camera tells me that rgb-code [1,0,0]
produce a number of photons that is 1/500 that of rgb-code [255,0,0], this
can be used to build a per-channel non-linearity/gamma scale of high
precision of the range 0-255? If the spyder 3 whitelevel can be depended
upon, the two sets of measurements could (?) be combined to provide one
absolute scale.

I am assuming that however complex lcd displays are, they do not appear as
one 3x3-matrix at low input levels and a very different 3x3-matrix at higher
levels (level-dependent gamut "twisting"). Rather, I would think that they
can be modelled as 3 sets of some spectral responses that is processed by
one linear 3x3-matrix and per-channel non-linearity.

Spectral characterization and whitepoint and such, I would leave to the
calibrator, but you mentioned that accurate black-point measurements was
difficult using cheap calibrators.

I think that grabbing camera raw files using dcraw and processing them using
MATLAB is no big obstacle. The real question is if this makes physical sense
or if it is only wishful thinking, wasting everybodys time.

-k