[arachne] Re: telnet

  • From: Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:30:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Greg Mayman wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:38:37 -0400 (EDT), Steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The normal way to exit telnet is '^]'
That is, "hold the CTRL key and hit right bracket"

Gee, thanks for that. But did you actually try it on that site?
Did it work for you? 'Cos it sure did NOT work for me.

  Yes.  Yes.  Guess your telnet client is abnormal.

What a shame that your advice was no use at all.

  Shrug.  It was of use.  Just not to you apparently.

By going through the screens I can get to a point where it offers
me "Q to Quit the connection". I enter "Q" and press the enter
key, and back we go to the start... "First name, last name...."

Here's something interesting: when I try it offline, the computer
goes into a loop that can only be broken with a reset. This makes
me think that there is something wrong with Arachne's telnet.

I didn't use Arachne's telnet. I used a command line client. I don't cotton much to pointy-clicky if it can be done on the keyboard.

Checking the code on that page shows it has an HREF to
"telnet://bbs.docspalce.org";.

I don't know what link you were clicking, but the link I see goes to telnet://docsplace.tzo.com which I then used on the command line as
$ telnet docsplace.tzo.com

Entering that command in the URL
line does not connect me, but at least it doesn't lock the system
into an unbreakable loop.

Of course it doesn't connect you. There's no telnet server at bbs.docspalce.org:

$ telnet bbs.docspalce.org
Trying 69.205.12.157...
telnet: connect to address 69.205.12.157: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Now, can someone give me some advice that they really HAVE tried
on this site, that they _KNOW_ will work?

  I did.
  I did telnet to that site.
  I did exit telnet using '^]'.
I did suggest that to you BECAUSE I really have tried it and I really do _KNOW_ it works. From here. Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --