[arachne] new Arachne features

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:59:23

Dear developers,

there are wonderful new features in the latest
updates posted by Glenn. I was quite suprised when
Arachne unexpectedly started to display Javascript
popup boxes. How is it possible that these charms
have been kept secret all the time (the new IDframe
icon dates from March 2007)? It seems that Arachne
development is wildly progressing whereas documentation
cannot keep up with all the new capabilities. So I would
like to ask a few questions to our developers. May be
after that I will then be able to summon up their answers
into some contributions for the DOC directory of the
next Arachne distribution.

1. JavaScript support
---------------------

Q: There seems to be at least experimental JavaScript support
in the latest version. What commands or functions will be recognized
by Arachne?

Remark: The large IDFrame icon is very ugly. Of course we may find a
nicer picture for it, but I wonder whether inserting a large icon
into the page display is the most appropriate way to indicate a link
to a JS function. When I tested this feature for the first time, it
was on a dark page layout so that the icon was hardly visible. I
think the large icons are primarily designed for Arachne's own GUI.
I would prefer to indicate JS links with a coloured mark, eg. a fat
red dot. Even better: if the prefered colour could be set by the
user on the option page in a similar manner as the mouse cursor.

2. Fonts
--------

In the new 193 GPL distribution uploaded 27. 3. Glenn (I suppose it
was him) has completely replaced the default fixed and proportional
fonts. I noticed that the '0' symbol looks differently with these
fonts. I would be happy to know, what is the main objective of
experimenting with the fonts. As I use mainly Central European
fonts, I can not actually test the changes, but am interested to know,
whether they will be relevant also for other national fonts. Glenn
has been experimenting with alternative fonts for quite some time.
IIRC the alt-font.htm menu was already in ver. 1.89. So I would like
to ask him what are the goals and what are the results of this work
at present? Do the new fonts:

- eliminate bugs (probably with the font scaling features)?

- only want to offer alternative look-and-feel?

- will be improve the rendering of pages in general?

- need to be implemented even in the other character sets?

Regards,
Christof Lange

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha  3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov