[arachne] Re: arachne Digest V2 #94 (alternating ISPs)

  • From: "da Silva, Joe" <Joe.daSilva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:42:17 +1100

If at first you don't succeed, read the instructions!   <g>

The key to all this was the opening line of my original posting,
"Install my LSPPPCFG package ...", which was _meant_ to
imply "[by following the installation instructions contained in
said package]". (Obvious in hindsight, right?;-)

For me, "let's edit Arachne.Cfg and see what happens" is not the
obvious answer to the question "okay, now just how do I install this
thing?" (which would have been the first thing that came to mind),
but perhaps that's just me.  <g>

Anyway, it occurs to me now that "Step 3c" can be simplified to just:

3c. Load your alternative configuration, then set your DNS addresses
    to "0.0.0.0" (don't change the BOOTP option).

So basically, all you need to do is (a) Install this stuff and (b) change
each of your configurations to use DNS addresses "0.0.0.0". In other
words, in step (3c), you needn't type "cfg-ppp update" as I originally
instructed (although there is no harm in doing so).

Your comment "Every time I tried to convert the settings for the second
ISP, it set it up for the first one" suggests to me that you are typing
"cfg-ppp lsppp" for step (3c), which is incorrect (the applicable option,
as stated in the original posting, was "update", _not_ "lsppp").

Joe.