[arachne] Re: arachne Digest V2 #90

  • From: "Greg Mayman" <gmone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:00:19 +0930

> From: "L.D. Best" <l.d.best@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:56:57 -0500
> Subject: [arachne] Which person am I ??? [multi-ISPs]

> I can't understand the "why" of staying online to read/respond to mail.

For the same reason you'll stand at the mailbox and read an important
looking letter instead of going inside the house before you open
it.

Although in this case it also allows me to write and upload the
reply without having to wait to logon again or make a special
logon.

And since each new logon uses another local phone call that costs
about the same as a 30 minute connection to my current ISP, it's
a saving.

> It's totally foreign to my "dial-up mentality" side.

Yup, me too! With the exception noted above.

> The "who am I?" part I can handle ... it can be a matter of setting up
> different MAIL directories for each personality/ISP [at one time there
> were 5 different users on my Arachne install].  And yes, it should be
> do-able "on the fly" since there's already a batch file involved ...

For that just change the line "MailPath .\mail\" to
"MailPath C:\FRED\MAIL\" in the FRED.ACF file, and
"MailPath C:\L_D\MAIL\" in the L_D.ACF file,
and so on.

Now the reasons why I wanted/needed to do it:

I was registered to a mailing list under both my current email
addresses, and I wanted to unsubscribe one of them. But I wanted
to do it by connecting through the ISP with the other address,
for reasons that are too complicated to bother with here.

Now I wanted to make sure I didn't unsubscribe the wrong address
from the list, so I was very careful when I sent off the
unsubscribe message to be sure it showed the right address in the
From: field.

But then they sent me an email asking that I reply to it to
confirm the unsubscribing.

At this point I once again had to be very careful that the
confirmation had the correct From: address that I wanted
unsubscribed.

Now that problem is solved, and at the same time I've found the
way to manage different "identities" without the need to log off
and log on again.

> But I can't refine a way to handle the 'problem' specifically when I
> can't get my brain around the specific definition of what needs fixing.

Of course.
öE+-C`
> <G> [This is not meant to imply that the problem was not clearly stated.
> It simply means *I* have difficulty.]

What I say is clear to me, well usually anyway, but not
necessarily as clear to the person I telling it to.

  |     I know you think you understand what you thought I said    |
  |  but I'm not sure that what you heard was what I meant to say. |

Regards from Greg.

Arachne at FreeLists
-- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --