[arachne] UTF-8 support

  • From: Christof Lange <cce.zizkov@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:27:22

Hi developers,

well, it seems I have slept quite a long time...

When I went online with A193, I was surprised by a comprehensive
UTF-8 support within the main program. Thank you, thank you, thank
you! I probably can use Arachne for another 10-15 years.

I will have to check, whether I have installed all the necessary
mime.cfg commands or codepage tables. My first attempt to read
UTF-8 encoded pages with my ISO-8858-2 font got this result:

1. The page ist not altered. When I save the page or edit it, the
charset information in the header and the 16bit characters are
preserved.

2. On the display and while looking at the HTML source with F6 the
unicode characters are rendered with the 8bit character set.

3. The conversion is almost correct. Those characters which are
different between the Windows character set cp1250 and iso-8859-2
are displayes by a ASCII 127 character. This is probably not a bug,
but due to my yet incomplete installation or some keyword in
arachne.cfg may be missing/wrong.

Christof Lange

This ist the fastest bug
On 27 Mar 08 at 11:46, arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>    1. check, whether the head of HTML page contains:
>       "charset=utf-8"
>
>    2. if no, do nothing; if yes, hand the page over to Christof
>       together with the target 8bit encoding (this variable can
>       be even taken from arachne.cfg)
>
>    3. my plugin (stdin-stdout c program) returns the converted page
>       that can be processed by Arachne's HTML engine and displayed
>       with the current 8bit font.
>
>Will there be a socket for such a plug-in?
>
>Regards,
>Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha  3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov