[arachne] Re: The Great DOS is the Best OS debate

  • From: Glenn Gilbreath Jr. <wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 1:20:29 -0600

Jason, and others...

The suggestion to use QEMM and memory management is
one method.  The other is for those of us that still use MS DOS
version 6 or later...run Memmaker and get more conventional
memory in the first 640 kb available.  Also, only load those
device drivers you really need, and if you have MS DOS 7 or
later use "devicehigh" rather than "device" commands to
load drivers via CONFIG.SYS and AUTHOEXEC.BAT.
C U L8R!
Wiz  <{;-)
At 06/06/06 5:44:00 AM, you wrote:
>Arachne at FreeLists---The Arachne Fan Club!
>
>I am far from a dos expert even though I've used it enough.
>
>But I got to thinking about our discussion here a while back about
>whether dos is the best OS.  In my mind the best OS is the one You like
>so I'm not debating that point.
>
>Anyway, one of the things I think makes dos a little less user friendly
>is the whole memory thing.  You know, running out of memory when you
>have 32mb and your program only needs 640k.  The less than techie person
>scratches his head at that one.  In fact, I've seen enough posts here on
>the subject.  My question/comment: is there something out there that can
>'take care of' this for the memory dummies in the world who like dos but
>can't figure out or don't want to spend the time to figure out how to
>get around this issue?
>
>Jason
>                  Arachne at FreeLists
>-- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --

Wizard57M
http://www.geocities.com/wizard57m/index.html