[arachne] Re: Support for old hardware

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:19:08 +1000

Hi Sacha,

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:06:29 +0200
"Sacha Menge" <sacha.m@xxxxxx> wrote:

> >> "80286 Based Internet"
> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Nn0eDF9X0
> >
> >     That says it all !    Long live the '286s.  :)
> >
> > BTW: What may also surprise, is that I just watched that youtube video
> > in Arachne running in MS-DOS 6.20. Pure DOS, NOT an emulator.  :)
>
> Flash video on MS-DOS on which media player? On a < 400MHz PC?

   Actually, on a 600 MHz PC.  AMD K6 with 64 MB RAM.   YMMV.

   Using a web service and downloading as an .FLV file, then playing that with
MPlayer for DOS.

   For that, you need to set MPlayer up to work with Arachne. I have put up a
couple of pages how to do that at: http://www.ausreg.com/arachne/

   The youtube -> .FLV service is at: http://kej.tw/flvretriever/

   With Arachne, right click on the youtube URL to place it in clip.tmp.
   Go to the URL above and paste (Ctrl+V) the youtube URL into the text box.
   Click on the [Retrieve now] button.
   If the youtube URL is correct, the service will give you an address to
download.
   Again, right-click on that, then invoke MP_RM.OOK (see my page for that).
   MPlayer will download the video, saving it as ASXFILE.RM, and will then play
it.
   If you want to save that video, then shell out to DOS, CD to the MPlayer
directory, rename ASXFILE.RM to FILENAME.FLV and put it somewhere safe.

   Sounds complicated, but once set up will work very well.
I am sure there are other ways of doing the same thing, but the above works for
me.

Regards,
        Ron

--