[arachne] Maximum length of PATH (was Re: <Alt+E> Problems - Files in body)

  • From: "Udo Kuhnt" <048321887-0001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 22:27:26 +0000

> Actually, I prefer this to adding a dir to the path for every program you
> install.  The path would be very long for me in that case.  Is there a limit
> to how long the path can be?

IIRC, the maximum length of the PATH var is 127 in older DOS versions,
and up to 255 in MS-DOS 7.

It is still rather limited since environment vars can become much
longer.

The limit is imposed by the maximum length of a command line, which is
127..255 in most DOSes.

Regards,

Udo

-- The DR-DOS/OpenDOS Enhancement Project - http://www.drdosprojects.de