[arachne] Linux version

  • From: Jason Dodd <jasorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:58:07 -0600

I gave a go at getting this up and running in linux a while back but only spent a couples days on it. I made some progress but it looked like I had a good ways to go. Maybe I'll look at it again.

Jason Dodd wrote:

Eric S. Emerson wrote:

Jason,
I don't know what you mean by "let down".

I mean I haven't had a virus or popup issue in windows in years. And dos is by no means virus immune or safe even. I bet more than one here has been infected by one on a dos machine. Monkey boot virus, maybe? It's just it doesn't have the user base it once did so it's not the target any more.

The "bugs" do get in/thru often and then if your lucky
the "anti" software deals with them when you run it.

I contest this. If you run a firewall(you should no matter which OS you use IMO), avg, be reasonable with attachments you shouldn't get any viruses.

It doesn't always work so perfectly.  It wastes time...
much time....and slows down productive use of the
computer....more computer power is used to provide
protection than is used to do the desired computer
function.

Eric

Well, the extra load of running something like avg is so very minimal.

The security issues of windows are more along the lines of the access a normal user has than the fear of viruses.

Arachne at FreeLists
-- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --

-- Jason Dodd

jasorn@xxxxxxxxx
618-917-4051

Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Web Browser/Suite for DOS and Linux --