[arachne] Re: INFO NEEDED FOR POSSIBLE FUTURE DOS/ARACHNESUPPORT

  • From: "Eric S. Emerson" <wildrice5@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 03:36:01 -0800

Hi Brian,
                You did misunderstand
my meaning. The burning of CD's
was not the subject. The propensity
for CD drives to go amuck and stop
reading CD's correctly was the topic
and it happens on both my DOS and
my W$n98 computers. I have never
burned a CD on my DOS 486 computer.
I don't think it is a burning drive.
I have burned 1 or 2 CD's in DOS on
my W$n98 computer. But I haven't
done a DOS burn in a long time and
I am not the one to ask for directions.
glennmcc has the package/files for
DOS  CD burning on his website
available for download and he also
has given directions for the procedure
several times. glennmcc uses DOS
DVD burning for backup on a regular
basis.
By coincidence, I just burned a CD using
NERO on my W$n98 machine, after which,
the burning drive refused to read the newly
burned CD. When I put the CD in my other
CD drive it read the CD just fine.  For some
reason, something goes haywire with the
initialization of CD drives sometimes and
they refuse to read the CD and instead they
give a directory listing indicating that the
CD is blank.

My problem with DOS CD burning is that
I couldn't do multisession burns on the
same CD untill it was full.  The second burn
on the CD using DOS made what was already
burned on the CD disappear and only the second
burn was available.

Eric

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:09:23 -0500 "Brian C. Murphy"
<BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 12 December 2008 Eric Said: "Hi Greg M. "I find that sometimes
> after
> burning a CD that it appears blank and the CD/DVD drive has to be
> reinitialized.  Sometimes just opening and closing the tray fixes it
> other times a reboot is required.  I assume it has something to do
> with the
> driver."  "IT HAPPENS WITH BOTH MY DOS 486 COMPUTER " etc.
> If  I understand you correctly your are burning CD's with DOS
> software at
> times.  Am I missing something, or do you have DOS software that can
> actually successfully burn CD's?  I Know Glenn MCC had develope a
> procedure
> that came close to burning CD's from DOS.  If someone on this list
> has the
> complete procedure and it really works, you could do the rest of us
> a great
> service by fully documenting what you do how and making the
> documentation
> available on the Arachne List.
> Brian Murphy:  BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Click to find information on your credit score and your credit report.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/PnY6rw2Oy88h39xhAsrL0zAzUGZVyPamRfd35lbmQZ5FXesrf6Dd6/