[arachne] Re: How about more DOS instead? WAS Re: Classic Arachne downloads, EGA monitors

  • From: "L.D. Best" <l.d.best@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 23:36:03 -0400

Wiz,
You're leaving out tens of thousands of kids and adults who can't even imagine saying anything to someone in some other country -- because they can't even speak their own national language, let alone English. And the farmers who don't need to know how to read or write in order to understand the "picture book" on crop planting or water conservation or ???? could care less about Face Book or My Space or even Google.

We're talking a large segment of the world that doesn't have phone lines or electricity, let alone hybrid fiber optic high speed connectivity to the internet or any net.

Computers are not limited to being net-connective; back in the days 99.9% of computers were not connected to any network other than a LAN. But they didn't find those computers worthless because computers served purposes *other* than world-wide connectivity.

Big solutions don't always solve big problems; often it is the small things (like the small minds of the bosses in Myamar) that are the most problem or the best solutions.

l.d.
====

Glenn Gilbreath Jr. wrote:

That would be great, except...the child you give the old DOS PC to decides to make
friends with kids in USA, UK, etc..."Hey new friend, check out my pics at MySpace
and my video on YouTube!"...now what do they do?  No Javascript, no Flash player, no
instant messenger...wouldn't take long and those kids will get bored with their DOS
system and go looking for something with more capabilities.
I'm not saying the idea is bad, just trying to illustrate typical usage by "young
people".
Wiz  <{;-)

Wizard57M
Glenn Gilbreath Jr.
http://members.surfbest.net/wizard57m@xxxxxxxxxxxx/index.html
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --