[arachne] Arachne - Lantcp.cfg

  • From: "Lester V" <fd100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 12:53:01 -0400

Here is my "Lantcp.cfg" used to connect Arachne browser to the internet. The browser works
just fine, nevertheless, all comments are welcome:

LANTCP.CFG

hostname=arachne
sockdelay=30
mss=1452 (default was 512)

1) "Sockdelay" could probably be set lower on the new fast computer, not sure if it matters
much.

2) More important is MSS. I assume that it is "maximum segment size", a measure related
to "mtu - maximum transmission unit". In that case the default MSS of 512 or 1024 is too
low for DSL or cable connection. To my knowledge, MSS = MTU less 40, and the values for
different protocols are as follows:

- DSL with WinXP PPPoE: MSS=1440
- DSL with RASPPPoE: MSS=1452
- DSL with router PPPoE: MSS=1452
- cable with router PPPoE: MSS=1460 (not sure here)

Ref:
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:5c6b088?service=dsl&speed=2688&os=winXP&via=
routerpppoe

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/964/10152006120219bm5.png

Lester
Arachne at FreeLists -- Arachne, The Premier GPL Web Browser/Suite for DOS --