[arachne] A190 DOWNLOADING FILES PROBLEM

  • From: "Brian C. Murphy" <BCMURPHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ARACHNE FREELIST <ARACHNE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 17:57:42 -0500

Having now "properly"? configured Arachne 190j1-387, at least to the extent

that I can now launch Arachne with the Vancouver Free Net as my ISP, I now
have some other, hopefully minor problems with the behavior of A190 to deal

with.

I want to begin with the problem of downloading files from places such as
SHORT STOP, where I could always efficiently download when I was using
a170R3.

Now, A170R3 would download a file by first clicking on it and then waiting
for
the download to take place, then going RIGHT to the download screen and
clicking there, which would result in the file downloading to the
ARACHARD/DOWNLOAD file as it should and where it would be neatly and
visibly
arranged with the other downloaded files there.  (In some cases the RIGHT
download screen would not appear as it should and I would have to CTL LEFT
ARROW, click on the original download name, and then automatically go RIGHT

back to the final download screen, where I could almost always click on the

download screen to have the downloaded file moved to ARACHARD\DOWNLOAD
where I
wanted it.

I understand that A190 is set up to first let you view an HTML view of the
contents of the file and that then, if you want to download it, you press
F2.

Well, that works, sort of, but inconveniently;  it downloads the file into
cache instead of into ARACHARD\DOWNLOAD.  That means that later, off line,
have to go through cache and search for ZIP or whatever the file type was
and move them manually from cache to ARACHARD\DOWNLOAD.

A. Now, if I could have both the HTML file contents view and a SURE
download
to ARACHARD\DOWNLOAD, I would probably opt for that.  Is there a neat and
simple way to achieve that with Arachne 1.90?

B.If not, I  would like to revert to the downloading procedure from A170R3
where I simply click on the file to start the download procedure and then,
that is complete, click on the file to download it to ARACHARD\DOWNLOAD.

(AS noted above, At some download sites, after completion of the
preliminary
download sequence, and my going to the place where the download screen
should
be, I would have to XTRL LEFT ARROW back to the file display screen, click
there, and then go back to the download screen area where, at that point,
the
final download screen would appear and let me click to download the file to

ARACHARD\DOWNLOAD where I wanted it to go.)

Is there a simple and easy way to get A above or, if not, B above.

Comment from skilled aficianados of later versions of Arachne would be most

welcome.

Thank you,
Brian Murphy