[apt4ssx8] Re: yalt

  • From: "Kent A. Reed" <kentallanreed@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apt4ssx8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:11:45 -0400

On 6/20/2012 8:03 PM, dave wrote:
Hi all:

Attached it another shot at line test ... this time the lines are defined in the apt360 manual.
However not all is working the way I expect.

L16 and L17 need some help from someone far smarter than I am.
L16 gives multiple solutions for tangency to a tabcyl. I've tried changing the tolerances in hope of fooling it into a single solution.
Any ideas?

With L17 I'm clueless about what it expects/needs that I'm not doing. Feedback would be appreciated.

Have at it. ;-)

Dave
Dave:

Regarding L16, have you tried plotting your points on graph paper? Do these data represent a real case? The five points defining the TABCYL are certainly going to generate a squiggly spline solution. APT360 even prints out a diagnostic message that there is a directional discontinuity. I didn't try to plot the spline solution but PT6 must be nearly on it. I don't think changing tolerance will fool the solver. I think the situation is pathological.

Regarding L17, the definition is invalid since it contains neither minor word TANTO nor minor word PERPTO. Pretty much anytime you get an ERROR 1000 it's time to check the statement syntax.

Beyond the specifics of your L16, it's interesting because testing it shows the line format breaks down in the print out. APT360 attempts to plot a graph but it folds over, as does the columnar output below the graph. I'll have to look at the FORMAT statements involved.

Regards,
Kent