[HG-PBEM] Re: Robb's Character Ideas! (no drum roll needed... really!)

  • From: "John Guilfoyle" <john.guilfoyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 10:32:52 -0700

Sorry for all these piddly little emails, but GRELs are a favorite topic of
mine. =)

Dennis wrote:

> Scott brings up a long-time and interesting debate about GRELs. Are
> they mechanical or emotionally children? Personally, I tend toward the
> later. Being intellectually programmed for the battlefield but not for
> living life stranded on Terra Nova, interacting with socially. However,
> others interpret that the GRELs are more machine like, almost more like
> Vulcans or Lieutenant Data from Star Trek.

I don't see them being mechanical at all. I see them as, in a way, doomed.
Doomed to be who they are, and perhaps cursed to try and break beyond that,
and doomed to fail. With some very notable exceptions. I'm thinking GREL
"success stories" aren't quite the stuff of legend, but they're close.
Remember that virtually everyone on the planet will have a negative reaction
to you if you're a GREL. And that there are rumors that your (former?) masters
built-in your pre-planned demise, as in when you get to age forty you die. Add
all the directed instictiveness to the mix as well as the blocks on creative
and independent thought, and well hey. That's a cocktail for one group of
poor, fucked-up bastards. But imagine the feeling when one of them succeeds!

-John