[HG-PBEM] Re: Isn't it ironic?

  • From: David Kelk <dakelk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:02:14 -0400

I'm traveling 600 km for a wedding tomorrow so I'll be away for most of
the weekend.

 >> Ms. Dominic looked at Terry. "So how do you want to proceed?"
 >>
 >> "I'm going to stay up here and hold the fort." Terry said, "I see
 >> Slovenski didn't take the safety line so I won't be much use following
 >> up down there if they get in trouble." His cell phone is in his hand,
 >> though he wondered how much penetration power it would have penetrating
 >> ground rich with metals.

Just then, Terry was startled by Monty suddenly leaping off his shoulder
and scurrying down the hatch and dropping from sight. just as the security
guards began to close it.

 >> "If you find Rhogen, tell him to get his fool ass up here!" Terry
 >> ordered Monty as the hatch sealed behind him.

Ms. Dominic only raised her eyebrows.

 >> "Any information you can give me on what's underground here," He
 >> indicated the hatch, "And what kind of secret base these kidnappers
 >> could set up would be appreciated."  He ponders for a few seconds, "Land
 >> topography, obvious exit points, connections to any structures like the
 >> gassing or water systems would be helpful.  Slovenski's our security
 >> chief and I'm sure he knows what he's doing, but he didn't ask any
 >> questions about what to expect so I don't want him lighting a match and
 >> blowing a ten meter hole in the compound floor or
 >> something similar."

"Ny men will warn him," Ms. Dominic replied. "They're familar with the meta
hane processing plants." She gestured to the two security men standing
behind Terry, signalling them to round up the other security detail. They
ran off to the first site.

"As for exit points, there shouldn't be any," she stated with conviction.
"However, I'll confess, that doesn't mean that there aren't."

 >> "You wouldn't happen to have a ground sonar or something would
 >> you?"

"Hmm, not a bad idea," the woman replied. "No, but there may be one
elsewhere in Khayr ad-Din." She turned to one of her bodyguards. "Radio in
and have CC try to track down a ground sonar system. Tell them to start
with the Miner's Guild on the outskirts."

The body guard nodded and silently moved off, approaching the nearby
hopper and flagging the pilot. Ms. Dominic turned to look back at Terry.
"Any idea who would do this? We might be able to start a crosssearch."

"It's strange." He chuckled, "I asked and asked about this and was told
I didn't need to know ...  Now we're in this situation.  I need to know and
I don't."

"If you can pry this information out of the dysfunctional management of
this team I'll buy you a hundred dollars worth of alcohol.  I'd give you
another hundred if you teach me how to do it."

[...]

"Did I make a mistake?" Terry wondered to himself as the woman talked.

.