[angelscript] 1.10.0 WIP 6

  • From: "Andreas Jonsson" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "angelscript" <angelscript@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 14:13:43 -0200

The sixth WIP has been released. The changes for this version include:
* Minor changes to make compilation on Linux smoother (thanks Johannes Plass)
* Separate output files for release and debug mode (thanks Dan Royer for that
suggestion)
* Inclusion of std::vector add-on that allows for simple registration of any
std::vector object (implementation by Anthony "Deyja" Casteel). Note: MSVC6
seems to have trouble with vectors of vectors, e.g: vector< vector<int> >
doesn't work. On GNUC it works though.
* It is now possible to register array objects, overriding AngelScript's native
array for that type. This is the only way the application can interact with
arrays in scripts. The array objects are registered as normal objects, except
their data type should include the [] type modifier, e.g: int[].
* Multidimensional arrays are now working as well
* Array elements are copied on assignment with the native array.
* bug fix: Constants weren't correctly converted to references when passed as
function arguments (thanks Anthony "Deyja" Casteel for detecting that one)
* bug fix: Switch case didn't treat 8 and 16 bit integer types correctly
(thanks Alain "abrken" Bridel for spotting that)
* bug fix: Exception handler wasn't working correctly

There is still a little work left before I can release the final version of
1.10.0.

* Native arrays currently don't work on GNUC. It is possible to override the
native array though.
* Registration of arrays of pointers probably don't work at the moment.
* The engine should report configuration error if an application function is
registered that tries to interact with the native array.
* I need to verify that native arrays work with saved/loaded bytecode.

Once that has been done I will take care of the compiler performance problems
that have been reported lately. I also want to make a much improved interface
to script functions. I will also improve the rules implicit conversion.

In parallel with that I plan to start working on AngelScript 2. AngelScript 2
will change the way objects are handled by the script engine, which will be
more like that of Java, with that pointers will no longer be supported. These
changes will improve the library in several ways, where the two most important
ones are a much cleaner syntax for script writers, and a library that is much
easier to maintain and improve.

However AngelScript 1.x.x will continue to exist and I will continue supporting
it with bug fixes and minor enhancements.

Regards,
Andreas Jönsson
Author of AngelScript

AngelScript - AngelCode Scripting Library
http://www.angelcode.com/angelscript/
http://www.angelcode.com/forums/