[analogorgans] expanding analogs.....

  • From: "Jean Moquin" <jean.moquin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:23:29 -0400

Hello List,
        My subject today concerns the expansion of existing analog Rodgers
organs, i.e., adding more stops and colors to an existing instrument.

    I have asked questions about this subjects a few times to different
people.....Most answers I got where correct, but they where related maily to
the "WHAT to do" instead of the "HOW to do it".

    I feel that a discusion should be started here on that subject and
experiences shared among us. Like many, I am not an el. eng.....I spend my 40
years + carrer in the mech eng. field, where electronic devices where mostly
treated as "black boxes" and concerns where mainly about inputs and
outputs....I suspect that many are sharing my concerns here.....

    I hapily shared my experience with a solution to reverb problems with
many.....I had built my own system following some precise advices from Charlie
Strack..and it worked well....

    I would like to see some things like:
1) basic concepts
2) type of material used
3) how (and where!) to connect midi interacing to existing  circuits
4) references to published Rodgers circuits (tech. manuals)
5) analog to analog interfacing devices
6) analog to digital interfacing
7) analog to pipe organ interfacing
8) any rekated subjects

    I feel that a lot of good analog organs are often looked upon as relics of
the past and as if no solutions to upgrade them exist. The sounds we get from
these instruments is warm and very pipe like (if properly voiced and
installed!), but lack coloring. I don't see any fun in trowing away a good
analog and spending 50 to 100 K $ on a new digital (or 10K$ on a cheap

     Let's resurect the list!!!!!

Best to all..and...au plaisir de vous lire!!!!!!!

Jean