[analogorgans] Re: Cipher....

  • From: Brad Starcevich <bstarcevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: analogorgans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 08:17:24 -0500

Good morning, Jean.

Interesting experience. Thanks for sharing with us. This is the type of confounding problem that
makes one want to tear their hair out. I'll keep a copy of this e-mail in my technical manual.
Thanks again,

      Best,

      Brad

Jean Moquin wrote:

Hello all list members,
Just to share.....This occured on a Rodgers model 220-II that I am restoring. A permanent cipher had developed. This affected key no. 41 on the "swell unit trompette / reed" ( 8' ). I checked and rechecked every circuit and components in the signal chain. The cipher was sounding at the correct pitch, but at a somewhat lower level than when the key was pressed down. This seemed puzzling since the voicing circuits here are used by three stops (4', 8', and 16' reeds).
I finaly started looking for amore "obvious" or simple thing than a deffective component....a broken or shorted part of the circuitry...Looking with a magnifiying glass,I finaly found that two solder paths, located at the back of the voicing pannel may have developed some conductivity...maybe just some oxydation did this....Just scraping between these paths with the tip of a testing probe corrected this cipher....
Not as obvious as a broken connection!
Best to all!
Jean

--
Bradley K. Starcevich Senior Staff Engineer Cougar Package Designers, Inc. 1215 Atlantic Drive West Chicago, IL 60185 (630)231-7800 Ext.118 (630)231-1253 (fax) bstarcevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.cougargroup.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The materials in this electronic mail transmission (including all attachments) are private and confidential and
are the property of the sender. The information contained in the material may be legally privileged
and is intended only for the use of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended addressee,
be advised that any unauthorized disclosure,
copying, distribution or the taking of any action in
reliance on the contents of this material is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or electronic message and thereafter, destroy it immediately.