[amen] Hosnna+Two Alexander Men events in America this Summer. You are invited.

  • From: Seraphim Sigrist <ssigrist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Amen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:06:50 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Friends,
It has been some time since we reported to you on the work of Hosanna
and this time also it will not be a detailed report on work in Moscow, but in
brief a retreat of community members and other friends at the retreat house
in Semkhoz was very successful, and now it is the time for preparing the
summer camp there for young adults which will be July1-8, before that
we will have the pleasure of meeting with friends from the First Presbyterian
Church in Bellevue Washington whose choir is visiting Moscow and
St Petersburg.

But this year we will be having in the United States two events dedicated
to Fr Alexander Men. One in Michigan and one in New York.
I hope you ,or many of you that is, may be able to participate.

( I.)
First, July 14 in East Lansing

THE LIFE AND MINISTRY OF FATHER ALEXANDER MEN

Alexander Men was baptized as an infant by his mother, who had become a member
of the underground church in Russia under Soviet suppression. Father Alexander
Men was a voice"crying in the wilderness" of the Soviet atheistic domination of
Russian culture and also during
the critical transition times of Russia in the late 1980s. Fr. Men's ministry,
which lasted formore than thirty years, covered the worst possible times for
the Russian believer. His influenceon contemporary Russia is unmistakable, and
his life remains a powerful witness for our Lord
and Savior Jesus Christ. His works include many books, an Orthodox Open
University, a charity group at the Russian Children's Hospital, and The Hosanna
Community is another outgrowth of Fr. Men?s ministry. On September 9, 1990,
Father Men,long a target of the KGB, was murdered with an ax on his way to
church.
This presentation of his life and ministry will included a slide show and group
discussion. Refreshments
will be served. People from all Christian traditions are welcome and encouraged
participate in this ecumenical presentation.
 Call Jerry Munk, 517- 336-8533, with questions.

The Life and Ministry of
Fr. Alexander Men
A presentation by Andre and Karina Chernyak, leaders of the Hosanna
Community in Moscow, with His Grace Seraphim Sigrist, retired
bishop of the Orthodox Church of Japan.
Saturday, July 14, 2007, 7:45 p.m.
at the Work of Christ Community Center
4828 S. Hagadorn in East Lansing

(II.) July 24 in New York

Then on July 24 we have the "Alexander Men Lecture"(perhaps a
 first annual?)which will be given at St Mary Magdalen Church . 70 w 107 st. at
tentatively 530 pm.
Lecture:Dr Michael Christensen of Drew University. his theme will be "Theosis"
--the ultimate destiny of humanity as united to the Divine. He will I think be
presenting Theosis as having three aspects, micro,meso and macro if you will
from the particular to the universal, the deification of individuals, the
transformation of humanity as society, and the full flowering or
transfiguration of the Cosmos itself.
respondants will be Jan Perkins. psychiatrist.
                    Michael Plekon sociologist and theologian
                    Michael Meerson priest and author
                    Elizabeth Roberts  author (England)
                    Andrey Cherniak  from Hosanna Moscow
I think it will be an excellent evening. If we are doing it from say 530-830
we need to think about food etc...
Also present will be Dr Wallace Daniel from Baylor University who is writing a
new book about Fr Men.
In this case there will be a registration fee ,not required but if
possible--and I think it can be $20?
there will be at least some refreshments also.

Everyone is invited! Perhaps for our encouragement if nothing
else drop a note as to
attendence to me ssigrist@xxxxxxxxx and /or in the case of
East Lansing to Jerry Munk
jerry.munk@xxxxxxxxx

These can be important events--indeed I believe they will be and again
I hope you can attend.
We also need your continued support of course for Hosanna but also
anything earmarked for these events.

Yours,

   +Seraphim Joseph Sigrist

   Donations for HOSANNA to
   The Patristic Society
   c.o 320 South Broadway, Unity P-7
   Tarrytown New York 10591
      (all correspondence to me:  ssigrist@xxxxxxxxx, or sigrist@xxxxxxxx )

   OR TO PAYPAL --CLICK ON "DONATE" BUTTON AT
   http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=hosanna
   AND FOLLOW THE SIMPLE DIRECTIONS TO   MAKE CREDIT CARD OR
   BANK ACCOUNT DONATION.