[amc] Re: peace resources

  • From: Micheal McEvoy <chewy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AMC List <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 16 Apr 2005 18:21:28 -0500

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 11:17, Stephen Hochstetler wrote:
<snip>
> 2. Since the 1980's, I have had money invested in Pax World, an ethical and
> socially responsible mutual fund.  Fortunately, over this period it has had
>
> good success.  So I highly recommend it as a "win-win" investment.  It's good
> for your conscience and also for your checkbook.  I just received their annual
> report.
> Here are some clips:
>
> "For the one-year period ended Dec. 31, 2004, the Balanced Fund ranked
> number 9
> out of 576 balanced funds as tracked by Lipper Analytical Services for that
>
> period,
> based on total return."  From a table we find
>
> "1 Year Average Total Return"   13.39%
> "3 Year Average Total Return"     6.62%
> "5 Year Average Total Return"     3.09%
> "10 Year Average Total Return"  11.74%
>
> "At Pax World, we screen companies not only for their investment potential
> but also through standards of social responsibility.  We avoid companies
> engaged in
> manufacturing defense or weapons-related products or companies that derive
> revenue from
> the manufacture of tobacco, liquor, and/or gambling products."
>
> The website is www.paxworld.com.

I'm impressed, this would be a move not made lightly given the amount of
shares held

PAX WORLD FUNDS RELUCTANTLY DIVESTED 375,000 STARBUCKS
SHARES AS A RESULT OF COMPANY'S NEW ALCOHOL VENTURE

PORTSMOUTH, N.H.// March 23, 2005///     Pax World Funds, home to the
United States' first socially and environmentally responsible mutual
fund, announced today that it had no choice but to divest itself of
375,000 shares of Starbucks Coffee Company (NASDAQ: SBUX) worth an
estimated $23.4 million (1) as a result of the giant coffee chain's
decision to enter into a development and distribution deal with whiskey
maker Jim Beam to sell a coffee-based alcoholic beverage.

Read the entire release here:
http://www.paxworld.com/newsmcenter05/nr032305.htm

Shalom,
Micheal
--
Micheal McEvoy                                   St. Brigid's Gate Farm
chewy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                              Mahomet, Texas

"Christ erases the handwriting of the devil so that it is no longer the
 law that reigns, but grace and freedom in Jesus Christ, according to
 the nature of the true love of God and neighbour.  This love in God is
 the real freedom."  -- Pilgram Marpeck