[amc] Re: discussion of Hyattsville

  • From: Judith Smithey <judesmithey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:29:29 -0500

Helen and others,

I'm not sure how many people there at AMC were around when Lee and I were there (2000-2002 and some time before that for Lee) but we have been living in PA and attending Germantown MC for a couple of years now. We were indeed cut loose and I believe there was a lot of bad feeling at the time (Lee and I were not there when it happened) but there is the beginning of some sort of communication between our congregation and the conference now. I'm not sure that it could be called a step toward reconciliation yet but there is dialogue. Our church is now known for its stance, for better or worse, and Lee and I have found it to be a very rich community.

Faith Mennonite in Minneapolis is also a welcoming church and also went through a split with a larger church body as a result. We attended there for a year before moving to PA.

For some reason both Lee and I were under the impression that AMC had made a decision to be listed as a welcoming church when we attended there under Kathy Reid. Has that changed since she left? I thought we were listed in a directory somewhere as welcoming people of different orientations and had discussions about it as a congregation before agreeing to do that. Perhaps our memories are clouded.

Anyway, I have been enjoying reading the discussions here and wish you all well in your decision making. By the way, the link that Ray provided involved many people from our congregation including Richard Liechty.

All the best,

Jude Smithey
Helen Hopson wrote:

North America's oldest Mennonite congregation, Germantown Mennonite Church in Pennsylvania, was cut loose from the Franconia Conference in the 1990s for taking a welcoming stance. I was told that the conference ministers, at Pastor Richard Lichty's request--for symbolic meaning, escorted him out of the church. He returned to the congregation, which then as a church no longer affiliated with the larger Mennonite body, "re-ordained" him by congregational authority. A couple of googles on the church tell more of the story. I see that there is another pastor there now, and I think that is a fairly recent development.

On 3/6/06, *garland robertson* < pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Thank you for the reflective discussion concerning the situation
    of the Hyattsville community.  I appreciate the concern and desire
    for insight that this subject has generated among us.

    Whenever I invite persons to join us for worship, I am usually
    asked some direct questions about our congregation.  Most often
    the questions relate to the role of women and to the homosexuality
    issue.  My response is that we welcome to full participation all
    persons regardless of physical or cultural distinction who desire
    to follow the way of Jesus.  Whenever I am asked to clarify 'the
    way of Jesus,' I speak about the prophetic call for persons to
    honor justice, mercy, and respect in their relationships with
    others.  I explain that Jesus embraced this aspect of traditional
    religious expression and in addition validated the existing
    teaching that in the quest to live in relationship with the
    creator God one need only to follow a simple guideline:  do unto
    others that which you would like them to do unto you.  Some
    persons have responded to my invitation explicitly because of my
    assurance that homosexual persons will be welcome in our community.

    The matter of how the MC USA relates to the homosexual issue takes
    shape from the discussion about family in item 19 of the
    Confession of Faith which speaks of marriage as a relationship
    between a man and a woman.  There is no explicit reference to
    homosexuality in the confession.  I know that in the Western
    District Conference, the Bethel College MC has printed in their
    bulletin every Sunday their welcome of all persons regardless of
    sexual orientation.  Because they are such an influential
    community, I do not expect that any other church in WDC who also
    publicly acknowledges this attitude would experience any negative
    response from the conference or other communities in WDC.  It is
    interesting that in the Allegany conference, 25% of the initial
    vote was in favor of Hyattsville's membership policy, and 35% of
    voting delegates supported Hyattsville's continued full membership
    in the conference even after Hyattsville refused to adjust their
    membership policy to reflect the expectations of other more
    dominant congregations.  This I believe this discrepancy indicates
    significant support, although not majority.

    I know there can always be unpredicted consequences whenever
    positions are published on controversial issues.  Yet, as your
    pastor I do not want this concern to be the final determination
    for me in how we respond to these complexities.  I desire the
    final impetus for a decision to rest on the measure of how our
    behaviors conform to the pattern displayed in Jesus's relationship
    with sinners—with persons like us.  It seems Jesus trusted the
    spirit's capacity to guide persons into the life that God has
    intended .  My intent in ministry is that we are always moving
    toward learning to trust this same capacity.

    Please continue to share your reflections with us.  May it go well
    with you.  Sincerely,

Garland Robertson

    //...always hold firmly to the thought that each one of us can do
    something to bring some portion of misery to an end//

--
A Moment of Peace: http://www.soulofthegarden.com +++ Waging Peace: http://www.afsc.org/iraq

--