[amc] Re: adult study participants: Ecumenical Councils

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:43:06 -0600

FYI

The Development of Core Christian Teachings:
Creeds & Ecumenical Councils
by Prof. Felix Just, S.J.

Who was Jesus? Early Christians believed and proclaimed that Jesus, a Jewish
man born in Nazareth and executed in Jerusalem, was the long awaited "Messiah"
or "Christ" (Mark 1:1). As we see in the canonical Gospels, these believers
ascribed many other titles to Jesus, including "Lord" and "Son of God" (see
Christological Titles); they even began to think of him as the divine Word, who
was not only from God, but was God (John 1:1-3).

Yet most Christians also wanted to remain Monotheists; they continued to
believe that there was only one God in all the universe, the God of Israel,
whom Jesus had called "Father." But if there was only one God, how could Jesus
also be divine? What was the precise relationship between the Father and the
Son? And if Jesus was divine, then how could he also be human? Such questions
about the nature of Jesus and his relationship with God the Father were heftily
debated in the first few Christian centuries, with many different opinions and
heated arguments all around.

In the first three centuries after the life and death of Jesus, the majority of
Christians already came to agree that there was only one God (the God of
Israel, the Father of Jesus), and that Jesus was both human and divine. These
Christians came to be know as catholic and orthodox, not in the sense of the
"Roman Catholic" or "Eastern Orthodox" institutional Churches (which only later
separated from one another), but in the root meaning of these words (catholic =
"universal"; orthodox = "correct teaching"). Their opponents, those who held
opinions rejected by the majority, came to be called heterodox ("other/false
teaching") or heretics ("separatists; sectarians").

Some 2nd and 3rd Century Controversies:

      Heterodox Group  Their Opinions, Ultimately Rejected Orthodox Positions,
Eventually Accepted
      [non-Christian Jews] [Jesus was not the Messiah; he was at best a great
prophet, healer, and teacher; or at worst a blasphemer or a fraud] Jesus is the
Messiah, the Christ, sent from God as King of Israel and Savior of the world
(cf. all four Gospels)
      Marcionites The harsh God of the OT is not the same as the Loving Father
of Jesus we see in the NT; the first is rejected and replaced by the second.
The God of the OT is one and the same as the God and Father of Jesus; both the
OT and the NT contain God's revelation (cf. Matt 5:17-20).
      Adoptionists Jesus was born as a man, who became divine only at his
baptism, when he was "adopted as God's son. Jesus was divine from the moment of
his birth; he was born of Mary, but "conceived by the Holy Spirit (cf. Luke
1:35)
      Gnostics The OT God is the creator of the material world, which is evil,
from which people can be freed through the secret "knowledge that Jesus
revealed to a select few. The universe created by God is good (Gen 1), but sin
later entered the world (Gen 3-11); Jesus preached openly to all people,
wanting to free everyone from sin and death.
      Docetists Jesus was divine, but not really human; he only "appeared to be
human so that people could see him and hear his message. Jesus was divine, but
also truly human; he was "like us in all things but sin (cf. Heb 4:15).

The First Seven Ecumenical Councils:

      # Council Name
      / Location Dates Teachers and Teachings Rejected Orthodox Doctrines
Decreed # Attnd Influential Leaders
       1  Nicea  325 Arians: Jesus was divine, but slightly inferior to the
Father; Jesus was the first being created in time by God; slogan: "there was a
time when he was not. Jesus was divine, "of the same substance (homoousios) as
the Father, and was with the Father from the very first moment of creation.
Also fixed Sunday date for celebration of Easter. 318 Emperor Constantine,
      Athanasius of Alexandria
      2 Constantinople I  381 Arianism was still prominent; also, the followers
of Macedonius said the Holy Spirit was a divine messenger, but not fully God.
Teachings of Nicea were confirmed and expanded; the Holy Spirit also is fully
divine; thus the Trinity has one divine "nature," but three distinct "persons."
~150 Emperor Theodosius,
      Pope Damasus,
      Cappadocian Fathers
      3 Ephesus  431 Nestorians: Mary is the "Mother of Christ," but should not
be called the "Mother of God, so that Jesus' humanity is not neglected. Mary is
traditionally and properly called the "Mother of God; Jesus has both a divine
and human nature, but united in his one person.  200+ Cyril of Alexandria
      4 Chalcedon  451 Monophysites: Jesus was both human and divine, but he
had only "one nature; his divinity totally replaced his human nature. Jesus was
both fully human and fully divine; his two natures and two wills were perfectly
united in his one person. 150+ Pope Leo the Great
      5 Constantinople II  553 Various errors of Origen, Theodoret, Theodore of
Mopsuestia, and Ibas of Edessa. Confirmed first four Councils, esp. Chalcedon.
~165 .
      6 Constantinople III  680-681 Monotheletism: Christ has only one divine
"will." Christ has both a human and a divine will. ~175 .
      7 Nicea II  787 Iconoclasm: all images should be destroyed Veneration of
icons and images is permitted. 300+ .

The Nicene and Constantinopolitan Creeds:

      Nicene Creed: AD 325  Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed: AD 381
      We believe in one God the Father Almighty,
      Maker of all things visible and invisible;

      and in one Lord Jesus Christ,
      the only begotten of the Father,
      that is, of the substance [1] of the Father,
      God of God, light of light, true God of true God,
      begotten not made,
      of the same substance [2] with the Father,
      through whom all things were made both in heaven and on earth;
      who for us men and our salvation descended,
      was incarnate, and was made man,
      suffered
      and rose again the third day,
      ascended into heaven
      and cometh to judge the living and the dead.

      And in the Holy Ghost.

      Those who say: There was a time when He was not,
      and He was not before He was begotten;
      and that He was made out of nothing [3];
      or who maintain that He is of another hypostasis
      or another substance [than the Father],
      or that the Son of God is created, or mutable, or subject to change,
      the Catholic Church anathematizes.
     We / I [4]  believe in one God, the Father Almighty,
      maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

      And in one Lord Jesus Christ,
      the only begotten Son of God,
      and born of the Father before all ages.
      [God of God,] Light of light, true God of true God.
      Begotten not made,
      consubstantial to the Father,
      by whom all things were made.
      Who for us men and for our salvation came down from heaven.
      And was incarnate of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary and was made
man;
      was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate, suffered and was buried;
      and the third day rose again according to the Scriptures.
      And ascended into heaven, sits at the right hand of the Father,
      and shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead,
      of whose Kingdom there shall be no end.

      And [I believe] in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life,
      who proceeds from the Father [and the Son] [5],
      who together with the Father and the Son is to be adored and glorified,
      who spoke by the Prophets.
      And one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church.
      We [I] confess one baptism for the remission of sins.
      And we [I] look for the resurrection of the dead and the life of the
world to come. Amen."

      Notes:
      0: Texts obtained from NewAdvent Website: Creeds of Nicea and
Constantinople
      1: "of the substance [ek tes ousias] of the Father"
      2: "of the same substance with the Father" [homoousion to patri]
      3: that He was made "out of nothing" (ex ouk onton)
      4: Some versions and translations use the plural "We"; others use
singluar "I"; other slight variations in the ancient texts are indicated in
square brackets
      5: The addition of the phrase "and the Son" (filioque) has been a major
disagreement between the Eastern Orthodox and Western Catholic Churches.

The Rest of the 21 Ecumenical Councils:

      # Council Name
      / Location Dates Main Topics / Results # Attnd Presiding Pope
      8 Constantinople IV 869 Addressed the Photian Schism, but unsuccessful;
no further councils in the East. ~110 Adrian II
      9 Lateran I 1123 Ended practice of Lay Investiture; implemented other
reforms; called a crusade. ~900 Callistus II
      10 Lateran II 1139 Condemned errors of Arnold of Brescia. ~1000 Innocent
II
      11 Lateran III 1179 Condemned Albigensians and Waldensians; other decrees
for moral reforms.  ~300 Alexander III
      12 Lateran IV 1215 Again condemned Albigensians and other errors; over 70
decrees for wide-ranging reforms. ~1300 Innocent III
      13 Lyons I 1245 Excommunicated and deposed Emperor Frederick II; called a
new crusade. ~140 Innocent IV
      14 Lyons II 1274 Temporarily reunited Greek and Roman Churches; set rules
for papal elections. ~1500 Gregory X
      15 Vienne 1311-13 Addressed problems of Knights Templar, Beguines, other
groups; plans for another crusade and more clergy and educational reforms. ~300
Clement V
      16 Constance 1414-17 Ended Western Schism; elected Pope Martin V; decrees
against John Wycliff & Johan Hus. ? Gregory XI
      17 Basel
      (& Ferrara
      & Florence) 1431-39 Addressed problems in Bohemia; attempted reunion with
Eastern Church. ? Eugene IV
      18 Lateran V 1512-17 Minor disciplinary decrees; planned another crusade
against Turks. ~100 Julius II
      & Leo X
      19 Trent 1545-63 Addressed challenges of Luther and other Reformers;
issued many decrees for definition of Church doctrine and reform of Church
discipline. ~450 Paul III, Julius III,
      Marcellus II,
      Paul IV, Pius IV
      20 Vatican I 1869-70 Three sessions planned, but adjourned after the
first, due to wars in Europe; formally defined the infallibility of the Pope
when teaching "ex cathedra ~800 Pius IX
      21 Vatican II 1962-65 Updating the Church for the 20th Century; finishing
and expanding the agenda of the First Vatican Council; issued a total of 16
documents (2 "Dogmatic Constitutions," 2 other "Constitutions," 9 "Decrees,"
and 3 "Declarations") 2,860 John XXIII
      & Paul IV
      22 Vatican III ? 20xx ? Updating the Church for the 21st Century? ? ?