[amc] Re: a request

  • From: Wilson Tan <wilsonhptan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:32:28 -0600

Hi all,

I don't know Bonnie either but I did have a good chat with her when our
paths crossed during the planning stages of the CPT "Shine the Light"
campaign.  (No, she is not a CPTer.)  I found her earnest, eclectic and,
well, possessing general qualities of a grassroots activist.   To her
credit, she did call for an open meeting to discuss her project this
evening, Thursday, Jan. 19, 7:30pm, at Central Presbyterian Church.  Her
"credentials," besides the current www.opposetorture.org, is the Billboard
Project: http://thebillboardproject.blogs.com, which she also funded and, I
believe, received good billings in the Austin Chronicle.  FYI, she is coming
from a humanitarian and moral standpoint, not faith-based motivations.

I can most definitely see how a historical peace church finds the message
lacking and without teeth.  It is probably akin to FOR hanging a "Violence
is Wrong" banner, the UN endorsing "Division is Bad" or Ten Thousand
Villages saying "Unfair Trade is Wrong."  Yes, the duh factor.  Hmm... I
wonder what the mainline churches think about this "Torture is Wrong" on
their property.

However, if she is indeed successful in getting (many) other faith groups
(left, central, right, etc.) in Austin to hang the banner, who knows what
impact or dialogue we might be part of?  *Shrug* Her request is essentially
for real estate for a project she'll fully fund.  Plus, it is capitalizing
on the torture issue being in the spotlight "thanks" to the Iraq occupation.

From our church publicity perspective, we are unique in rejecting all
violence though I seriously think less than 1% (ok, maybe 6% given this
city's leanings) of Austin knows what that stance means, much less about
Mennonites.  Perhaps the most we can hope for (Ray's scenario) is that such
a banner serves as a thought starter for curious/clueless/aggravated
passer-bys to inquire (in person) further about our stance.  Though, come to
think of it, we haven't really gotten much questions about our peace pole. :
)

I think there is not much harm in endorsing the banner though I wonder how
much good it might bring.  Perhaps it is a zero sum exercise. : )

Hope this helps.  Other thoughts?

Best,
Wilson

> From: Ray Gingerich <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:43:36 -0600
> To: Steve Friesen <Friesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, garland robertson
> <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [amc] Re: a request
>
> Steve,
>
> You might be right--that people might think we are a bunch of pinko commies
> that are against everything our government stands for. Frankly, I would
> prefer that to the alternative thoughts about us that Garland suggests.
>
> I don't know anything about Bonnie Tamres-Moore, and the peaceniks I hang
> out with don't know her either. Nor do I know what her objective is or her
> motivation for her banner campaign. But, I did offer her an opinion that the
> message may have the unintended consequences. This is what I sent:
>
> I suppose that there are people that are so morally depraved or unaware that
> the "Torture is Wrong" message may cause them to stop and think, "Hmmm, some
> people think torture is Wrong," I need to consider the merits of that idea.
> I may be the naive one--possibly the message could influence passersby in a
> positive manner. I am open to being convinced of that.
>
> Some possible unintended consequences:
>
> To put up a banner in front of a religious establishment announcing that
> "Torture is Wrong" seems to me analogous to the bumper sticker "I love my
> wife." Why would anyone need to announce that. Every time I read that
> sticker, I am embarrassed for the person displaying it. Of course you love
> your wife. Similarly: of course torture is wrong. Why would you need to
> announce that. I would hope most people reading such a banner at a religious
> establishment would think, (beyond frank, now blunt): "duh, what a radical
> message that place is promoting--maybe I will stop in to see what other
> progressive ideas they have."
>
> Some possible actions:
>
> 1) we might do a little poll of people who are likely to see the banner in
> front of AMC
>
> 2) we might assume that most people will interpret it as Steve hopes
>
> 3) we might assume that most people will interpret it as Ray fears
>
> 4) we might put up the banner with an additional message: "Of course torture
> is wrong. We believe that ALL violence is wrong!"
>
> 5) or simply: "All Violence is Wrong"
>
> 5) or possibly a positive message: "Our community embraces the non-violence
> of MLK, Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, and Jesus."
>
> 6) or something else
>
> Ray

>>> another.  Use the list serve address if you are comfortable or you may