[amc] We Mourn, We Carry On

  • From: Wilson Tan <wilsonhptan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:35:26 -0600

Hi all,

By now you would have learned about the death of Christian Peacemaker Team
(CPT) member, Tom Fox from Clearbrook, Va., whose body was found along the
road to the Baghdad airport on Friday, March 10, morning.  He had been held
captive in Iraq for more than 100 days.  He had a single gunshot wound to
the head and the latest Reuters report indicates signs of beating by
electric cables before his death.  The most comprehensive public reporting
is from Reuters and can be read at:

http://writeboard.com/4ea250457166abc78
Password: amc

There will be a vigil at the CPT Chicago and Toronto offices this evening at
6 p.m.  I invite you to pray for and grief for Tom¹s family and community.
CNN has been running a piece today with interviews from Tom¹s Quaker support
group in Va.  Carol Rose, co-director of CPT, will be on Good Morning
American this Monday morning.

For your reflections, here are two statements of support and reflections:
Cindy Sheehan
http://writeboard.com/9b5f2dc5cada8589a
Password: amc

Michele Naar-Obed (CPTer, friend of Tom¹s, just returned from Iraq)
http://writeboard.com/9c9ec9a4901a53220
Password: amc

Official CPT news release
http://cpt.org/iraq/response/06-10-03statement.htm

to vilify or demonize others, no matter what they have done. In Tom¹s own
words: "We reject violence to punish anyone. We ask that there be no
retaliation on relatives or property. We forgive those who consider us their
enemies. We hope that in loving both friends and enemies and by intervening
nonviolently to aid those who are systematically oppressed, we can
contribute in some small way to transforming this volatile situation.²²

Please feel free to use of forward any of the above material with the
appropriate citations.

Best regards,
Wilson

#  #  #