[amc] Survey from WDC

  • From: Austin Mennonite <austinmennonite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 19:20:05 -0500

*Dear Friends,*

*It seems to me that Western District Conference and Mennonite Church USA
are at a critical place with regard to how we work together over issues of
inclusion.  **Please take time to read the following email and respond to
the online survey via the Survey Monkey link below.  Your responses will be
very helpful in our discernment.  I am a member of the Discernment Task
Force named below. *

*Please contact me if you have any questions, concerns or problems with the
links. Thank you for taking the time.*

*Lee Lever, Pastor*

*Austin Mennonite Church*

******************************

Dear Western District Conference members and participants,

*We want to hear from you. *We are asking you to participate in a 20
question survey as the first step in a year-long discernment and decision
process in response to a resolution submitted by Rainbow Mennonite Church,
Kansas City. The heart of the resolution states:

*Now, therefore, be it resolved that the Western District Conference of the
Mennonite Church USA, out of respect for the responsibility and commitment
“to seek to understand and interpret Scripture in harmony with Jesus Christ
as we are led by the Holy Spirit in the church,” upholds the right of
individual congregations to discern how homosexuality will be subject to
Biblical interpretation, and*

*Be it further resolved that pastors, with the affirmation of their
congregations, consistent with Mennonite polity, and without fear of
censure, may officiate or refuse to officiate ceremonies that consecrate
before God monogamous, life-long unions, regardless of the sexual
orientation of those being united.*

Rainbow Mennonite Church’s full letter of introduction and the full
resolution is available at:
http://mennowdc.org/conference-life/annual-assembly/

The Executive Board of the Western District Conference appointed a
Discernment Task Force to guide this time of discernment. The Executive
Board asked the Task Force to foster discernment on the following:

   -  Information from Mennonite Church USA regarding membership guidelines
   and polity
   -  The proposed resolution from Rainbow Mennonite Church
   -  Enhanced participation of WDC delegates throughout the year.

The resolution from Rainbow and the process of discernment were introduced
at Assembly 2014 in Waxahachie on July 5.  The survey is the Task Force’s
first step followed by a WDC Reference Council on November 15 that will
focus on polity, which is about the spheres of responsibility and authority
of congregations, conferences, and denominations. Members of the Task Force
are Jim Schrag – chair, Ana Galindo, Brett Klingenberg, Lee Lever, Kent
Moore, and Diana Schunn.

The survey has four parts:

1.  Regarding the *Confession of Faith in a Mennonite Perspective* which
can be found at:
*http://www.mennoniteusa.org/about-us/who-are-the-mennonites/what-do-mennonites-believe/
<http://www.mennoniteusa.org/about-us/who-are-the-mennonites/what-do-mennonites-believe/>*

2.  Regarding the Membership Guidelines which created Mennonite Church USA.
They can be found at:
http://resources.mennoniteusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/MembershipGuidelines_2013_July.pdf

3.  Regarding polity which is about relationships among congregations,
between area conferences, and the denomination.

4.  Regarding matters of sexuality with questions 19 and 20 focusing
specifically on the Rainbow Mennonite Church resolution.

*Your participation is critical in this discerning process. *Through the
modern miracle of Internet communication we will be able to quickly compile
your responses into meaningful data that reflects your discernment on these
matters. We’re pleased that we can offer the survey in both English and in
Spanish versions to reach everyone with an internet connection. We ask
congregations to provide paper copies of the survey for members without
internet and take responsibility for entering the data for those members.

To complete the 20 question survey go to:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WDCopinion for both the English and the
Spanish version.

We need you to respond by August 31. Thank you for your participation.

Peace in Christ

Clarence Rempel                                             James Schrag

Conference Minister                                       Chair of the
Discernment Task Force

--------------------

15 de Julio de 2014

Estimados miembros de Western District Conference,

*Queremos escuchar de ustedes. *Les pedimos que participen en una encuesta
de 20 preguntas como primer paso en el proceso de discernimiento y toma de
decisión que nos ha llevado un año, en respuesta a una resolución
presentada por Rainbow Mennonite Church, de Kansas City.  En esencia, la
resolución expresa:

            *Por lo tanto, se resuelve que la Conferencia del Distrito
Oeste (Western District Conference) de la Iglesia Menonita de EE.UU., por
respeto a la responsabilidad y compromiso "de comprender e interpretar la
Escritura en armonía con Jesucristo según la guía del Espíritu Santo en la
iglesia”, apoya el derecho de las congregaciones individuales de discernir
cómo sujetar la homosexualidad a la interpretación bíblica, y*

*            Se resuelve además que los pastores, con la afirmación de
sus congregaciones, de acuerdo con la política de la Iglesia Menonita, y
sin temor a censura, pueden oficiar o negarse a oficiar ceremonias que
consagren ante Dios uniones monógamas y para toda la vida, sin tener en
cuenta la orientación sexual de las personas que desean unirse.*

Se adjunta los contenidos completos de la carta y de la resolución de
Rainbow Mennonite Church.

La Junta Ejecutiva de Western District Conference designó un Equipo de
Trabajo de Discernimiento para guiar este momento.   El Consejo
Ejecutivo de la Conferencia de Distrito Oeste nombró ungrupo de trabajo de
Discernimiento para guiar este tiempo de discernimiento. El Consejo
Ejecutivo pidió al grupo de trabajo para fomentar el discernimiento de lo
siguiente:

·         Información Iglesia Menonita de EE.UU. con respecto a las
directrices de afiliación y sistema de gobierno

·         La propuesta de resolución del Rainbow Iglesia Menonita

·         Mayor participación de los delegados de WDC durante todo el año.

La resolución y el proceso fueron presentados en la Asamblea de 2014 en
Waxahachie el 5 de julio.  La encuesta es el primer paso del Equipo de
Trabajo, seguido por una reunión del Concilio de Referencia de WDC el 15 de
noviembre que tendrá en cuenta nuestra política en cuanto a las esferas de
autoridad y responsabilidad de las congregaciones, conferencias y
denominaciones. Son miembros del Equipo de Trabajo Jim Schrag – moderador,
Ana Galindo, Brett Klingenberg, Lee Lever, Kent Moore, y Diana Schunn.

La encuesta tiene cuatro partes:

1.  Acerca de la *Confesión de Fe en una Perspectiva Menonita *que se
encuentra en
*http://www.mennoniteusa.org/about-us/who-are-the-mennonites/what-do-mennonites-believe/
<http://www.mennoniteusa.org/about-us/who-are-the-mennonites/what-do-mennonites-believe/>*

2.  Acerca de Membership Guidelines (*Procedimientos o Lineamientos para la
Membresía* que crearon la Iglesia Menonita de EE.UU.  Estos pueden verse en
http://resources.mennoniteusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/MembershipGuidelines_2013_July.pdf
.

3.  Acerca de la política que tiene que ver con relaciones entre
congregaciones, entre conferencias regionales, y la denominación.

4.  Acerca de asuntos sobre sexualidad con las preguntas 19 y 20 que
enfocan específicamente la resolución de Rainbow Mennonite Church.

*Su participación es importante en este proceso de discernimiento. *A
través del milagro de los medios modernos de comunicación podremos
recopilar rápidamente sus respuestas para tener información significativa
que refleje su discernimiento sobre estos asuntos. Nos complace poder
ofrecer la encuesta en inglés y en español y así alcanzar a todos y cada
uno mediante un contacto por internet.   Pedimos a las congregaciones para
proporcionar copias en papel de la encuesta para los miembros sin internet
y asumir la responsabilidad de introducir los datos para los miembros.

Para completar la encuesta de las 20 preguntas ir a:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WDCopinion  para ambas versiones, inglés y
español.

Necesitamos a responder antes del 31 de agosto.   Muchas gracias por su
participación.

Paz en Cristo,

Clarence Rempel                                             James Schrag

Ministro de la Conferencia                             Moderador del Equipo
de Trabajo de Discernimiento

*Lee Lever, Pastor*
*Austin Mennonite Church*
AustinMennonite.org