[amc] More news regarding Steve's recovery

  • From: pat hochstetler <srh2pjh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vhamann <vhamann@xxxxxxxxxx>, kcalmond <kcalmond@xxxxxxxxx>, amc <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sheca_sheca <sheca_sheca@xxxxxxxxx>, "donna.duerksen" <donna.duerksen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, glinatsisi <glinatsisi@xxxxxxxxx>, norris0416 <norris0416@xxxxxxxxx>, cathymorg <cathymorg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Natalie <Natalie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rzrback_99 <rzrback_99@xxxxxxxxxxx>, cyndyreid12 <cyndyreid12@xxxxxxxxx>, headspeed <headspeed@xxxxxxxxxxx>, daryl <daryl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, carrie <carrie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, gailsmail000 <gailsmail000@xxxxxxxxx>, "phil.hochstetler" <phil.hochstetler@xxxxxxxxx>, mahvha <mahvha@xxxxxxxxx>, sunshine2199 <sunshine2199@xxxxxxxxx>, capatter <capatter@xxxxxxxxx>, rvoran <rvoran@xxxxxxx>, jsw69intadv <jsw69intadv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, rebeccarmt <rebeccarmt@xxxxxxxxx>, earthandwatermassage <earthandwatermassage@xxxxxxxxx>, ldiener789 <ldiener789@xxxxxxxxxx>, ddiener <ddiener@xxxxxxxxxx>, bkmandlem <bkmandlem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, nclifehealth <nclifehealth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "sanchez.rafael" <sanchez.rafael@xxxxxxxxx>, rossgr <rossgr@xxxxxxxxxx>, rchoch <rchoch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, sahhrh <sahhrh@xxxxxxxxx>, snmartin <snmartin@xxxxxxxxx>, drohrer123 <drohrer123@xxxxxxxxx>, janemarawar <janemarawar@xxxxxxxxx>, millerms <millerms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, chulce <chulce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, peanut_shows <peanut_shows@xxxxxxxxx>, "corine.ross" <corine.ross@xxxxxxxxxx>, jamielwelch <jamielwelch@xxxxxxxxx>, jdbm991 <jdbm991@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 23:59:08 -0500

Hi all!

Thank you for your many prayers for Steve and me during this time.

We got to see Steve at 6:30 tonight (Tuesday) and he was doing as well as
one might expect when you're still coming out of surgery.  He was still
attached to the ventilator when I checked on him at 9pm.  The nurse expected
that to come out in about an hour, so that should be accomplished by now.  I
will return to the hospital around 8am tomorrow (Wed).  I expect he will be
looking and feeling much better.  He didn't bleed too badly during surgery,
so that is good from a platelet perspective.

While Steve is in the ICU, he can't receive flowers/plants/food.  Once we
move back up to the 3rd floor and know his room number I will let you all
know what it is.  The hospital address is St. David's North Austin Medical
Center, 12221 N. Mo Pac Expy, Austin, TX 78758.  After we are home, feel
free to call to arrange visits or send cards to 2405 Emmett Pkwy, Austin, TX
78728.

In the waiting area of the ICU we cannot get reception on either his phone
or mine.  If you need to leave a message, please call my phone
(512.461.2936) since I know how to retrieve my messages.  (Steve has two
messages on his phone, and I don't know hwo to get them.)  Maybe we will get
better reception when we are actually in the room with him.  From time to
time, we will walk out to the outer hallway where we can get decent
reception to check for messages.

Several of you have offered to help with food or any other need I might
pinpoint.  Thank you so much for your offers of support!  Right now, we
aren't home much to eat any food.  We have enough groceries to get by for
now.  (It's really nice that the HEB is at Parmer and MoPac.  It makes it
easy to run in for a quick trip.)  Once we get Steve home, having some meal
assistance will be helpful.  I will know more about what kind of things
Steve can eat as that gets closer.  Stay tuned for more updates in the near
future.

As Steve recuperates in ICU, they will be checking how well various body
parts are functioning (kidneys, platelet count, blood sugar, blood pressure,
temperature, etc).  One of the nurses from the heart center (3rd floor) said
that once they start disconnecting lines, they all come out in relatively
rapid succession.  He and I have a 'hug-n-kiss' bet on how long he will be
in ICU.  I say 24 hours...he says longer (up to 48 hours).  Who ever is
closer 'wins' a hug and a kiss...no one really loses.  Payment is always
gladly given and received.   :-)

We continue to covet your prayers as Steve goes through the healing process
and know that each one makes a huge positive difference!  We are truly
blessed to have a big caring 'family'.

Thank you all for caring for Steve and me.

With Christ's Love,
Pat