[amc] MCC School Kits

  • From: Stephen Hochstetler <srh2pjh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amc <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 12:01:19 -0700 (PDT)

It is time to collect items for school kits to help MCC with responses to the
earthquake and other disasters that MCC responds to. These are distributed in
areas where children have few to no resources for a number of reasons. With the
unknown temperature in places that these may travel to it is recommended to get
colored pencils instead of crayons.

If you are willing to buy some supplies or want to pool some money together
with someone else who has a discount card to buy bulk supplies...just let me
know. If you have a skill such as a seamstress and some time to offer let me
know as we also need to make some small bags (with draw-string closure) to hold
each kit.

I will bring a bag next Sunday and put it in the back to start collecting
supplies.
In July, once we have the kits put together, we can either ship them to Kansas
or find someone who is driving there to drop them at the MCC office.

MCC sends school kits for children in places such as Bosnia, Haiti, Honduras,
Iraq, Liberia, Nicaragua, North Korea, Russia, Serbia, and Ukraine and to
poorly funded schools in Canada and the United States. In 2004, MCC sent more
than 90,000 school kits.

Supply List
4 spiral bound notebooks (about 8.5"x11"), 70- 80 pages each
4 unsharpened #2 pencils
1 ruler, flexible plastic (with both 12" and 30 cm markings)
1 box of 12 to 20 colored pencils in package (pencils preferred over crayons)
1 large pink eraser

thank you!, steve