[amc] FW: AAIM Hands on Housing

  • From: "Kathy Reid" <Kathy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 17:08:56 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Shannon Burke [mailto:shannonb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 5:08 PM
To: Recipient list suppressed
Subject: AAIM Hands on Housing

AAIM e-Voice
Special Update
March 14, 2003

Bringing
Healing & Hope
By Building Community

Welcome to the AAIM e-Voice. The e-Voice is a regular service of
Interreligious Ministries designed to keep you informed of the latest news
from AAIM and the faith community at large. Let AAIM help you get the word
out! Please send announcements and event listings to shannonb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Feel free to use any part of this newsletter in your organization's
publications.

Today, I heard these words from Dr. Bill Greenway, Professor of Ethics, at
Austin Presbyterian Seminary:

"We demand justice for all, out of love for all"

When people are in pain it is our responsibility, as people of faith, to
bring love into the world and to help end the suffering.  Today, I am going
to ask each and every one of you to turn your attention to one of the most
basic needs faced by the poor and suffering in Austin.  Housing.  There are
thousands of elderly and working poor people in Austin trying to shelter
their families in rundown, unsafe and deplorable living conditions.  You
can do something about this in just one weekend.  On April 5-6 in the
Chestnut neighborhood, volunteers are needed to do repairs ranging from
painting to replacing a roof or vinyl flooring.  We are especially in need
of skilled laborers who know how to repair plumbing that doesn't work,
electric wiring that has become a hazard, or fix doors that will not open
or close.  AAIM is also in need of people to help donate and prepare food
for volunteers and pick up necessary supplies at building supply stores if
needed.

Please answer this call and talk to your congregations about uniting with
all people of faith for this important event.  We need to stay focused on
the vision God has given us of ending poverty housing and homelessness and
building both houses and hope for the people who live in them.

Keep praying and strap on your tool belts.  You can make this a better
community for us all.

Susan Wills
Hands on Housing
Spring Event 2003
3 weeks away!
The Hands on Housing Spring Event will take place on April 5-6 in the
Chestnut Neighborhood.  Volunteers are needed to do repairs ranging from
painting to replacing a roof or vinyl floor.  Each team is responsible for
providing its own building and painting materials, tools, and labor.  A
variety of donors (government, corporate, and individual) help provide some
financial support for those teams unable to pay for all their needed
materials.  Please note: financial support is very limited.  Volunteers are
recruited from area congregations, business, and civic groups, and teams
typically consist of 10-20 people.  For more information or to join an HOH
team, please contact Hugh Sparks at 472-7627 or hughs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hands on Housing is in special need of a team of volunteers to help with
lunch set-up/take-down and errand running on the day of the event!

What to do about CHIP?

It was reported in Thursday's Austin American-Statesman, in an article by
Dave Harmon in section A page 10, that the Texas house appropriations
sub-committee chaired by Rep. Arlene Wohlgemuth will recommend that the
state abandon the Children's Health Insurance Program in order that money
can be focused on elderly and disabled Texan.  The sub-committee hopes that
savings can be found to save the program and one potential way to do this
is through a reorganization of health and human services.  Rep. Wohlgemuth
will be filing a bill that will address this option.  Local Representative
Dawnna Dukes is on the sub-committee.  It is reported that the state's
leadership are not in favor of abandoning CHIP.

By abandoning CHIP, the state would be able to continue to provide nursing
home care.  Unless additional revenue sources are found, the state will be
making these difficult choices.  If you have ideas about how to address
this issue or if you support particular options for increasing revenue, now
are the time to contact legislators and the state's leadership.  They need
to hear about potential solutions that people are willing to support.  You
can find out how to contact the Travis County delegation at the CAN website
http://www.caction.org

Austin Area Interreligious Ministries Has Moved!
  We also have a new phone and fax number!

Austin Area Interreligious Ministries
701 Tillery Street, Suite 8
Austin, TX 78702

(512) 386-9145 phone
(512) 385-1430 fax

AAIM Contact Information
701 Tillery Street, Suite 8
Austin, Texas 78702
(512) 386-9145
(fax) 385-1430
http://www.aaimaustin.org/

Susan Wills, Executive Director, susanwills@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Administration
Elliott Brown, Community Relations and Development, elliottb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Teresa Kingsbury, Bookkeeper, Teresak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Community Mentoring Network
John Williams, Program Coordinator, johnw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hands on Housing
Dr. Hugh Cullen Sparks, Program Coordinator, hughs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

English as a Second Language
Lu Zeidan, ESL Coordinator, luz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jennifer LeBaron and Tom Linker, ESL Teachers

Crop Walk
Bonnie Cole, CROP Walk Coordinator, MrsBCole@xxxxxxx

AAIM Board
Joyce Beck
Prabhakari Devi
Sureshwari Devi
Sheryl Draker
Doot Dufour
Jan Emberson
Bill Henderson
Donna Howard
SatSundri Khalsa
Mohsin Lari
Fred Lewis
Mark Lit
Jayme Mathias
Anita Maxwell
Jim Mayfield
Cathy Norman
David Porter
Beverly Sonnier
Jack Stotts
Timothy Tutt
Mel Waxler

Austin Area Interreligious Ministries is supported by the financial
contributions of congregations and individuals.