[amc] Death Penalty Letter

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 08:19:28 -0600

Friends,

On the list below, notice that of the six U.S. executions scheduled for March,
five were in Texas and that 3 were carried out. Two more are scheduled in April.

The Friends (Quaker) Meeting of Austin (through a representative member, Walter
Long) has requested that we join them in writing a congregational letter to the
governor and the Board of Pardons and Paroles protesting each execution 30 days
precceding the date of execution.

Three things: Quakers and Mennonites have a long tradition of cooperating on
peace and justice issues. Further, we are THE Mennonite congregation living in
the capital of the capital of the death penalty of Western democracies.
Finally, on the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, the Mennonite
Central Committee's statement on the death penalty is the first on the list of
religious organization's protesting the death penalty. It states as follows:

Mennonite Central Committee (MCC)'s Anabaptists Against the Death Penalty
MCC seeks to demonstrate God's love by working among people suffering from
poverty, conflict, oppression and natural disaster. We oppose the death penalty
because it violates the teaching and spirit of Jesus Christ. It does not deter
crime. It is inevitably inequitable, irreversible and inhumane. In its place we
affirm restitution and reconciliation, nonviolence, aid to victims and
improvements of social conditions.

If there are other reasons for or against this effort, please speak up.

I will place the sample letter at the back of the church again tomorrow for you
to look over and suggest that we make a decision on this soon.

Ray Gingerich

MARCH EXECUTIONS

      March

      March 14: Tony Ford, TX - stayed

      March 15: Tommie Hughes, TX - executed

      March 17: Patrick Moody, NC - executed

      March 22: Robert Salazar Jr., TX - executed

      March 28: Raymond Martinez, TX - stayed

      March 29: Kevin Kincy, TX - executed

GIF image