[amc] Bush Finally Makes a Pardon

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:06:47 -0600

Friends,

In the following, NCADP recalls that Bush's favorite political philosopher was
Jesus. Hmmm?!?! I was thinking that maybe we should start a campaign to get
every Mennonite Congregation in the US to donate a copy of Politics of Jesus to
Mr. Bush. What do you think?

Ray

            Millions to Kill ... Pennies to Heal

            Can you give a few pennies this holiday season?

            Is This Compassionate Conservatism?
            Human Condemned As Bush Pardons Poultry

            November 25, 2003

            Yesterday, a politician who has approved the executions of 155
human beings was moved to spare the life of a bird.

            And at almost the same hour the White House Thanksgiving turkey
received its traditional executive clemency, a man spirited by Bush's Attorney
General from Maryland to Virginia for the avowed purpose of executing him was
duly condemned to lethal injection.

            Compassion? Looks like that's up to you. Luckily, you can provide a
much-needed dose by becoming a member or making a holiday gift to the National
Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty.

            There are two easy ways to contribute:

              a.. Make an instant gift over the Internet through our secure web
form at http://www.donate.net/ccn/basket.asp?dept_id=617

              b.. Use our printable donation form at
http://www.ncadp.org/printform.html
           Although the turkey is safe, the President does believe children
should be eligible for the death penalty.

            Animal Farm?

            Presidential mouthpiece J. D. Estes had this moment of inadvertent
lucidity during the "Ask the White House" online chat about turkey pardons.

            Clancy, from Pheonix, AZ [sic] writes:
            Has the President ever pardoned any animal other than the turkey?

            J. D. Estes
            Not that we have been able to determine.
      As Governor of Texas, George W. Bush authorized 152 executions. Men and
women. Adult and child offenders. Non-triggermen, the mentally ill, prisoners
whose lawyers fell asleep on them and whose prosecutors cooked the evidence
against them. More than a few who went to the gurney maintaining their
innocence, some with DNA samples the state refused to re-test. But don't worry:
he's pretty sure they were all guilty.

      Since becoming president, he's presided over the first three federal
executions since the 1960's. He's also decided that "fairness" means all states
should have the same death penalty standards -- the same as Texas! His federal
attorneys mount capital prosecutions in almost every available case, with a
special focus on death penalty-free states. And somewhere along the line, he
discovered the right of presidents to conduct secret trials with summary
executions in Guantanamo Bay.

      In all that time, the man whose favorite political philosopher is Jesus
Christ has commuted four death sentences: One person. Three turkeys.

      With 2003 going fast, NCADP is gearing up for the abolition movement's
busiest year ever. We need your help to defeat George Bush's frightening
expansion of the federal death penalty. Please give today.

      National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty
      920 Pennsylvania Ave. SE
      Washington, DC 20003
      202-543-9577
      202-543-7798 (fax)
      www.ncadp.org
      info@xxxxxxxxx

      All 031125-A Sol

       To Unsubscribe: You may unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time by
visiting here.

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image