[amc] BROWNSVILLE, TX: CPT Delegation responds to legislation that would erect wall, increase militarization of border

  • From: "Micheal J. Mc Evoy" <chewy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 21:45:53 -0600

The Litany of Resistance to Violence was written by Jim Looney, CPT
Reservist, in 1991 during the First Iraqi-US war.
Jim is currently held captive in Iraq.

A copy of the Litany is at the bottom of this email.

    CPTnet> CPTnet 28 February 2006

    CPTnet> BROWNSVILLE, TX: CPT Delegation responds to legislation
    CPTnet> that would erect wall, increase militarization of border

    CPTnet> "No Wall No War" was the message 16 February 2006 vigil at
    CPTnet> the Brownsville port of entry, sponsored by CPT
    CPTnet> Borderlands delegation and supporters from the local peace
    CPTnet> coalition.  The witness took place on the bridge that
    CPTnet> spans the Rio Grande River, connecting Brownsville, TX and
    CPTnet> the Mexican city of Matamoros, Tamaulipas at a time in the
    CPTnet> afternoon when many people were crossing.

    CPTnet> The delegation was responding to recent U.S. House of
    CPTnet> Representative legislation that would put up another 700
    CPTnet> miles of wall to separate the United States and Mexico,
    CPTnet> and further the militarization of the US/Mexico Border.

    CPTnet> Many passersby, among the thousands who cross every day,
    CPTnet> expressed approval; at one point a car full of young women
    CPTnet> rolled down their window yelling "We support you." Later,
    CPTnet> two men passing by joined the witness reading the Litany
    CPTnet> Resistance to Violence (See
    CPTnet> http://www.cpt.org/publications/litanyofresistance.php). One
    CPTnet> of them was moved by the Litany and asked to keep a copy.

    CPTnet> During the week-long trip, the delegation heard many
    CPTnet> reports of violence along the border including abuse of
    CPTnet> women, wage theft, extreme narcotraffic-related violence,
    CPTnet> and constant fear among residents who have family or
    CPTnet> friends that are undocumented.

    CPTnet> A pastor from a small congregation, whom are undocumented,
    CPTnet> described some fears the migrants he ministers to have to
    CPTnet> face.  They include threats from gangs and the Border
    CPTnet> Patrol.  As a response to these fears he quoted the
    CPTnet> _Purpose Driven Life_ saying "fear is from the devil."  He
    CPTnet> said, "My church boldly offers hospitality, and support to
    CPTnet> all, with or without documents and we don't care who knows
    CPTnet> it."

    CPTnet> The borderlands delegation to Brownsville continues to
    CPTnet> look for effective ways that CPT can engage in violence
    CPTnet> reduction along the troubled border.  Participants were
    CPTnet> Mark Frey (Chicago, IL) Elizabeth Garcia, local
    CPTnet> coordinator, (Brownsville, TX), (Wendy Lehman, Chicago,
    CPTnet> IL) and Murray Lumley (Toronto, ON.)

    CPTnet> _______________

Jim Loney wrote the "Litany of Resistance" in 1991, during the first
Gulf War.  It has been translated into several languages, and is
prayed regularly by CPT teams and others not only in response to world
conflicts, but in response to threats of violence directed towards our
Teams and the human rights defenders and civilian communities with
whom we work.

Litany of Resistance
by Jim Loney (CPT Reservist), Toronto, Ontario

            One:  Let us pray.  You have learned how it is said
            All:  Love your neighbor and hate your enemy
            One:  But I say this to you who are listening
            All:  Love your enemies
            One:  Do good to those who hate you
            All:  Bless those who curse you
            One:  Be compassionate
            All:  Judge not
            One:  Do not condemn
            All:  Grant pardon
            One:  Because the amount you measure out
            All:  Is the amount you will be given back
            One:  Let everything you do
            All:  Be done in love
            One:  Blessed are the poor
            All:  For theirs is the kingdom of God
            One:  Blessed are they who mourn now
            All:  For they will be comforted
            One:  Blessed are the meek
            All:  For they will inherit the earth
            One:  Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for justice
            All:  For they will be satisfied
            One:  Blessed are the merciful
            All:  For they will be shown mercy
            One:  Blessed are the pure in heart
            All:  For they will see God
            One:  Blessed are the peacemakers
            All:  For they will be called the daughters and sons of God
            One:  Blessed are they who are persecuted because of righteousness
            All:  For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

            One:  Deliver us, O God
            All:  Guide our feet in the ways of your peace.
            One:  In humility, we ask
            All:  Hear our prayer. Grant us peace.
            One:  In humility, we ask
            All:  Hear our prayer. Grant us peace.
            One:  Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world
            All:  Have mercy on us
            One:  Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world
            All:  Free us from the bondage of sin and death
            One:  Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world
            All:  Hear our prayer. Grant us peace.

            One:  For the victims of war
            All:  Have mercy
            One:  Women, men and children
            All:  Have mercy
            One:  The maimed and the crippled
            All:  Have mercy
            One:  The abandoned and the homeless
            All:  Have mercy
            One:  The imprisoned and the tortured
            All:  Have mercy
            One:  The widowed and the orphaned
            All:  Have mercy
            One:  The bleeding and the dying
            All:  Have mercy
            One:  The weary and the desperate
            All:  Have mercy
            One:  The lost and the forsaken
            All:  Have mercy
            One:  For those fleeing in terror
            All:  Have mercy

            One:  For our scorched and blackened earth
            All:  Forgive us for we know not what we do
            One:  For the scandal of billions wasted in war
            All:  Forgive us for we know not what we do
            One:  For our leaders who wage war in our name
            All:  Forgive us for we know not what we do
            One:  For our Caesars and our Herods
            All:  Forgive us for we know not what we do
            One:  For our generals and tacticians
            All:  Forgive us for we know not what we do
            One:  For the men and women in battle
            All:  Forgive us for we know not what we do
            One:  For the men and women training for war
            All:  Forgive us for we know not what we do
            One:  For the scientists and researchers
            All:  Forgive us for we know not what we do
            One:  For the arms dealers and the merchants of death
            All:  Forgive us for we know not what we do
            One:  For our taxes that fund the evil of war
            All:  Forgive us for we know not what we do
            One:  Deliver us, O God
            All:  Guide our feet into the ways of peace
            One:  In humility, we ask
            All:  Hear our prayer. Grant us peace.

            One:  From the arrogance of power
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the poverty of violence
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the tyranny of greed
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the ugliness of racism
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the politics of hypocrisy
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the hysteria of nationalism
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the cancer of hatred
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the seduction of wealth
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the addiction of control
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the avarice of imperialism
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the idolatry of national security
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the despair of fatalism
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the violence of apathy
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the filth of war
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the profanity of war
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the necessity of war
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the madness of war
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the blasphemy of war
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the brutality of war
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  From the demonic waste of war and of preparation for war
            All:  Deliver us
            One:  Deliver us, O God
            All:  Guide our feet into the ways of peace
            One:  In humility, we ask
            All:  Hear our prayer. Grant us peace.

            One:  Obedience to God comes before obedience
                  to human authority
            All:  Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and
                  unto God what is God's
            One:  Let your will be done, not mine
            All:  With the help of God's grace
            One:  Let us resist and confront evil everywhere we find it
            All:  With the help of God's grace
            One:  With the waging of war
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With all preparation and training for war
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the forces of fear
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the legalization of murder
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the legalization of genocide
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With laws that betray human life
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the bombing of civilians
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the bombing of cities
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the violating of our earth
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the destruction of peoples
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the raping of women
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With governments that are blind to the sanctity of life
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With economic structures that impoverish and dehumanize
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the manipulation and control of public information
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With economics that manufacture instruments of death
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With economics that practice the use of instruments of death
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the perpetuation of violence
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With structures that divide rich from poor
            All:  We will not comply
            One:  With the hypocrisy of political maneuvering
            All:  We will not comply

            One:  With the help of God's grace
            All:  We will struggle for justice
            One:  With the compassion of Christ
            All:  We will stand for what is true
            One:  With God's abiding kindness
            All:  We will love even our enemies
            One:  With the love of Christ
            All:  We will resist all evil
            One:  With God's unending faithfulness
            All:  We will work to build the beloved community
            One:  With Christ's passionate love
            All:  We will carry the cross
            One:  With God's overwhelming goodness
            All:  We will walk as pilgrims of peace
            One:  With Christ's fervent conviction
            All:  We will labour for truth
            One:  With God's infinite mercy
            All:  We will live in solidarity with all people
            One:  In the end there are three things that last
            All:  Faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love
            One:  Let us abide in God's love
            All:  Thanks be to God.

--
Micheal McEvoy                                  St Brigid's Gate Farm
chewy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                            Mahomet, Texas

Micah4 Consulting -- Appropriate Technology for Sustainable Community

"And what does the Lord require of you but to do justice,
  and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?"
  -- Micah 6:8