[amc] Adult Sunday School this week

  • From: Steve Friesen <Friesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:03:25 -0600

Dear all,

Adult Sunday School this week will be a discussion session.  We¹ll use the
last two installments of the film series as jumping off points, but please
come and join in even if you missed one or both of the films.

Be thinking of questions you¹d like to talk about, and feel free to raise
them here on the list or Sunday morning at our discussion.  Here are some
conversation starters from yours truly.

* What images of Muslims or Islam have you seen this week?  Were they
positive or negative images?  Do the images agree with your own experience
of meeting Muslims?  How should followers of Jesus deal with the current
political tensions related to Muslims and Islam?

* Is church corruption only a Catholic issue? (hint: the answer is NOT ³yes²
:-)  What are our challenges today in church integrity? Could it be that
perhaps, just maybe even we Mennonites need to examine ourselves on this
issue?  What could Austin Mennonite Church do to promote Christian
integrity?

Memory refresher: The first film dealt with the Crusades?the Christian wars
between the years 1096 and about 1270 which attempted to recapture Jerusalem
and Palestine from Muslim control.  These wars also involved attacks on Jews
and on other Christians.  The second film dealt with institutional
corruption in the Catholic Church leading up to the reformation of the 16th
century.  It also discussed the  Renaissance of the 15th and 16th centuries,
which focused attention on humanity¹s power and potential.  The Renaissance
is often thought of as the end of the Middle Ages and the beginning of what
we call the modern world.

Steve