[amc] AMC Update 2015Oct20

  • From: Austin Mennonite <austinmennonite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "amc@freelists org" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 18:31:18 -0500

*AMC Small Groups*

The AMC Leadership Board has invited persons connected with Austin
Mennonite Church to consider participating in regional small groups this
fall and into the spring of 2016. The purpose of the small group
gatherings is to foster a deeper sense of community in the congregation and
provide welcoming relational space beyond the Sunday morning gatherings.
Thirty people have signed up. There is one northwest group, two central
groups, and a south group. Group leaders will be contacting members of
their group to find a meeting time that works for everyone. We are hoping
for once a month gatherings in November and December, then January through
April gatherings. I hope you can be part of these gatherings. Here are the
group leaders:

- Northwest - Steve Hochstetler
- Central - Rebeca Best
- Central - Steve Friesen
- South - Aaron Gerber

I am praying for these small group gatherings. It is my hope that in the
midst of our busy schedules and many responsibilities, we are able to
connect with each other for times of mutual sharing and support. I hope
these small groups will be gatherings where new people will be welcomed and
included. I am glad for this effort to strengthen our life together and I
pray that the Holy Spirit will help us grow as a community of grace, joy,
and peace.

******

*Sharing of joys and concerns from Sunday, Oct 18:*

- Michael - appreciated the sermon, looking forward to being the AMC
delegate to the WDC Annual Assembly at the end of the month in North
Newton, Kansas. Thank you for responses from AMCers about the Rainbow
Resolution being presented at the assembly. He is open to hearing from more
AMCers.
- Pat - looking foward to the Texas Relief Sale at Houston next month.
Enjoyed helping Tomas and Susan unpack into their new house in Buda.
- Rudy - enjoyed an amusement park experience with Michelle and her
cousin. He is looking for free fall gardening starters.
- Natalie - Walter having tonsils and adenoids removed and tubes in ears
next week. Her friend Leah is expecting her first baby.
- Peggy - pray for Ted and Dama traveling in Belize.
- Omar - recently visited his family in Mexico City and connected with
Mennonite churches there who are giving assistance to his family.
- Dixie - continue to remember the plight of refugees.
- Lee - pray for those impacted by the wildfires in Bastrop. Mennonite
Disaster Service will be involved.

******

*Calendar*

*Oct 24, **SAT**, 8-noon* – AMC workday.

*Oct, 25, **SUN* – Sunday school, worship, men’s group.

*Oct 26, MON, 7:30p* – Finance Committee meets.

*Oct 30-31* – Western District Conference Annual Assembly, Bethel
College, North
Newton, Kansas. Lee Lever and Michael Shirk (AMC delegate) are attending.
The theme is “Held Together in Christ.”

*Oct 31, **SAT**, 8a-4p? – *Hands on Housing workday at 7007 Blessing Ave.
Volunteers needed for light carpentry and painting. Sign up on literature
table.

*Nov 1, **SUN** – *Sunday school, worship, open communion, potluck.

*Nov 6, FRI, 5:30p* – small group serves meal at the ARCH.

*Nov 7, **SAT* – Texas Relief Sale
<http://www.texasreliefsale.org/houston.php> (MCC fundraiser) – Houston.

*Nov 8, **SUN** – *Sunday school, worship, worship committee, contemplative
prayer.

*Nov 14, **SAT**, 9-11a – *Coordinating Council meets at church, 2016
Budget.

*Nov 15, **SUN** – *Sunday school, worship, young adult lunch.

*Nov 19, THU, 7p* – Women’s group.

*Nov 22, **SUN* – Sunday school, worship.

*Nov 22, SUN, 1**1a-3p - Austin Empty Bowl Project
<http://www.austinemptybowl.org/>. *

*Nov 22, **SUN**, 3-4:30p* – 31st Annual Interfaith Thanksgiving Service
and Celebration, St. John Regular Baptist Association, 7501 Blessing Ave.

*Nov 26, THU* – Thanksgiving Meal at AMC.

*Nov 29, **SUN* – 1st Sunday of Advent, men’s group.

*Lee Lever, Pastor*
*Austin Mennonite Church*
AustinMennonite.org