[amayausers] Re: font names

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 17:56:58 -0400

Except for your basic computer 'operating' fonts (Chicago, New York,
Times, Helvetica)
there are very few 'font names' that remain with the same font
'shape' in any collection.
Anyone, any company, any graphic business, any computer software
sales company...
can 'create' their own fonts by simply copying the font 'styles' and
giving them a new
name! That's why I already have found a different named font to match
the one needed...
but have found several fonts with the same name as the Melco font
that aren't even in
the same 'family' of fonts. Someone somewhere grabbed a font style
and stuck the name
'Good Times' on it but it is NOT the same font as one called that in
another collection.
Brush Script is 'almost' the same in most collections but I have 3
variations already in
my own 'collections'. Then there are 'variations', Helvetica,
Helvetic neau, Helvetica narrow-
which may be 'standard' in one operating system 'font book' but
aren't standard in the others.
That's the problem with customers that only 'tell' you the font they
use (like 'Good Time') but
when they send you the artwork they don't know how to 'convert' the
font to outlines. If they don't
do that, you open up their artwork and their logo lettering is now
whatever your own operating system
has for a default font. Nice thing about Amaya and Designshop...if
you print out the PDF file for the
'resident' fonts available from Melco, then anyone that has an Amaya
has, or can have, the exact same
font to use.
But if you want to send the artwork off to a screen shop like me, and
you don't have the layout already
done with the font CONVERTED to outline (or 'path') then when I get
it-I go nuts, absolutely freekin'
bonkers.....LOL...
then it's telephone tag back and forth and faxing artwork until we
both know what we have.
Now LuAnn has it easy...she knows it has to match one of the Melco
fonts and if I was doing her shirt
screening, I have already found the similar font in my system.
Roland

Sunrise Graphics
116 Main St
Claremont, NH 03743
603-543-1324
Preferred method of files is PDF for invoices, page documents, etc.
Photoshop (v.6) for images, artwork, logos-preferred for logo and
sign work is Macromedia Freehand, any version, sent
to our email-we are all MAC based graphic programs here
signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx