[amayausers.com] computer turning on by itself

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:54:34 -0400

I didn't want to hog space on the amaya page, so just sending
this on the freelist in case there is a computer geek/guru that can
help me...
I am running an old eMachine computer 400i running windows 98 (yeah,
I said it was old) and this is for my engraving machine. That's all that's on
the computer, no network, no internet, not even a printer.
The last couple of weeks-this computer turns itself on! We come in over
the weekend or each morning, and it's up and running! Nothing near the
'on' button, no trained monkey or kids running around-the shop is locked up every night and we live upstairs...checked with my son, the family computer guru (he's an IT man for local bank) and HE says it's impossible because there
isn't anything running in the 'background' to turn it on.
And yes, I did doublecheck-the 'turn off' window says to 'shut down', it isn't set
to 'restart'...my first thought.
Anyone have any ideas? We're not upgrading this computer, the program for the engraver won't run on higher version windows and the newer operating system won't run the old engraver...so there is no upgrades. Been running fine for almost
12 years now...
we do have a 'ghost' in the house, the presence of our friend's son that drowned 2 years ago is hanging around again but I've asked him to stop playing with the
computer and it still turns on...
last night I ended up unplugging the computer because I didn't want the monitor
to 'burn' in!

Roland R. Irish III

www.sunrisegraphics.org
signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx