[amayausers.com] Re: color change stepper index error / heads down

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 19:36:35 UT

This message was posted by zenman on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/1173/2.html#000016

Those optical sensors are more of a optical switch.  I just replaced these on
my Big Red during a similar situation.  They sell them at Mouser online if you
want to save a few bucks.   I bought extras.  If you look on the back of the
needle case you can see black plastic fingers, more like a solid plastic ledge
with strips cut out.   I would say that there is an eight of an inch of space
between the fingers.  The "optical sensor" allows the black plastic fingers to
go in between the top and the bottom of the sensor.  the top of the sensor
shines a very small light (like a flashlight) and the bottom senses it and
tells the Amaya computer if it sees the light.  When it sees a light, it is at
a needle position.

There are two of the optical sensors, on in the middle back of the needle case
and one on the right as you are looking at it.

The middle one finds the #8 needle.  It does this because there is a separate
gap in another piece of plastic on the back of the needle case that this one
finds using the light method.

The one on the right finds the current needle position using the fingers
mentioned earlier.

When the machine boots up the needle case tries to find the #8 needle using the
"home" sensor.  if it can't find it, the machine freaks out and gives a "home"
error.

After it find the home position, the machine goes to the needle it was last at.
 If the right sensor is malfunctioning the needle case goes way past needle #1
and you hear the motor struggling and then gives up.  There is a timer for the
Amaya computer between colors.

The sensor is black and small.  It has a very think piece of plastic holding
the top and the bottom together like a sandwich.  The space between the top and
the bottom and just a little wider than the thickness of the plastic fingers.

If dust or oil gets into between the top and the bottom of the sensor the
machine had not idea where home is or a needle position.   Sometimes the needle
case gets jostled and the plastic finger, when it is inside of the sensor,
rises up and bends the sensor and the sensor light does not point and the light
detector or even break the thin support of the top and bottom.

To replace these requires removing the needle case.  Doing that has a lot of
excitement the first time.

It is a krappy design that melco changed.  It is a cheap answer to the linear
strip used on ink jet printers.   But not they use more expensive encoder on
the color change motor itself.