[amayausers] Re: Tearaway on polos?

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 11:31:13 -0500

I usually use 2 layers of 1.5 oz. tearaway, even though 3 oz. cutaway
is recommended.
When we go and do the 'tourist' game during the summer, up in Maine,
etc.-we are always browsing through
the gift shops and naturally, we check out the shirt racks.
The majority of the shirts I find 'commercially' done have tearaway,
sometimes its hard tell if there was ANY
backing-and the detail and quality is very good.
"Locally" done jobs are 50/50- half with cutaway (usually even
thicker than 3 oz) and half with tearaway.
I do also use solvy when I use the tearaway...and my shirts of choice
are 50/50 or 60/40 blends-not
100% cotton. I think that makes a big difference especially with
'tearing out' the design from the shirt.
100% cotton is a 'short fiber' material-very prone to easy tearing if
perforated with sewing-while 50/50
has the short cotton fiber combined with poly-making it very stable
and strong.
It's what you get used to and are comfortable with.

Roland