[amayausers] Re: Puckers

  • From: Kushnerick <bkushner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 17:12:17 -0700

Without knowing specifics it is difficult to narrow the problem down but
generally, puckering can be caused by any number of factors including:

- improper stabilization. A cut-away stabilizer will always provide the
best support during stitching and for the life to the garment.

- improper hooping. Material in the hoop should be taunt - but not
stretched.

- machine thread tensions too high. Excessive thread tensions will put
extra "pull" on the material.

- using a hoop which is too large for the design. Always use the
smallest hoop possible to help reduce the chance of material movement
within the hoop during stitching.

- hoop not holding material properly. Hoop should be tight enough to
prevent material slippage. When stitching slippery material like satin
or nylon, wrap the inner hoop with something like athletic tape.

- design stitch density too high. Many designs are simply too dense and
this can cause a number of problems including puckering.

- too many stitches in the design running in the same direction. When
possible, it is often better if a design has stitching running in a
number of different directions rather in just one. This will help
eliminate excessive pull in one direction.

- poor design pathing. Best stitching results are often achieved if the
design stitches from the center-out [whenever possible].

- improper or insufficient underlay stitching. Proper underlay is often
one of the "secrets" of a great stitchout.

- the type of thread used. Because of it's elastic properties, poly
thread can put more "pull" on the material than rayon .... especially if
things like thread tensions are not properly set, material is not hooped
correctly, etc. This however does not mean that poly should not be used,
it only means that it is important to pay attention to all other causes
of puckering.

- occasionally excessive stitching speeds may contribute to puckering.
Slowing stitching speed down certainly is not a substitute for a quality
design, correct machine settings, good stabilization or proper hooping
but sometimes when stitching at high speeds, the other problems can be
excentuated.

Bob