[amayausers.com] Re: Needle size for Bags

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 14:03:29 UT

This message was posted by The Embroidery Authority on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE
DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by
clicking here:
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/306.html#000003

Cindy,
The beauty of the Acti-feed system is that there should be no settings.  It's
automatic.  Whether it be linen napkins or 3-D puff foam, the machine and
software combination will auto adjust whilst sewing so that it is one less
thing you have to worry about.  (This is of course considering that you are
maintaining your machine as you are supposed to)
I see many folks who don't clean or lubricate the necessary points or have
thread tangled here and there or just simply abuse there machine like bent arms
or stripped screws, etc... (maybe because they are an employee and not the
owner) and hence the machine doesn't sew as well as it's capable of and they
ask me what is wrong with the machine's settings?
75/11 needle is a good all around needle as it is the middle needle out of five
sizes to choose from.  A sharp needle will pierce a hole and follow through
where as a ball point will push fibers aside as it penetrates the fabric.
Hence, if the fabric is a lightly woven or knit fabric, then go with a ball
point.  If your bags are tightly woven like canvas or denim or have a lining
added in, I would go with the sharp.  And if you think it matters to you, don't
forget the needle companies also offer "light ball" and "medium ball" point
needles. They fall between ball and sharp.
In short, here's a little guide...  Hold the fabric up to the light.  If you
can see light shining through the fibers, then use a ball point.  If you
cannot, use a sharp.
Ed Orantes
Tech & Trainer