[amayausers.com] Re: Level designs/ snap line

  • From: Marilou Johnstone <terriertamer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 13:18:30 -0700

Thanks a lot.  This is a great idea.  Marilou

On Nov 13, 2008, at 1:11 PM, Juli Damazo wrote:

I know what a snap line is in the construction trade... can you share what
you mean here?

And the construction trade is exactly where I got the idea. My son is a tile layer and he gets his tile perfectly straight by using snap lines. So here goes.

I went to the local hardware/craft store and bought a large (the largest I could find) hand embroidery hoop. I only used the part that is solid. And I bought "snap line" in the hardware dept. I asked my fisherman hubby what knot I should use and tied one line from top to bottom. Then I lined that string up on the floor - on the tile - which gave me an exact perpendicular line and tied my second line. I then had perfect cross hairs. I use school chalk - I found that I usually only need red or blue to mark any fabric. I rub the chalk on the underside of the strings, line the cross hairs up on my shirt (or whatever) and snap the line. Bingo, the perfect placement lines. Then I have marked all my hoops with a sharpie. I line up the chalk lines with the marks on the hoop and hoop. I get perfect placement every time.

If I make another one, I would put the second string below the halfway mark because it is nice for the string to extend beyond the shoulder line. And unless you have an enormous hoop to tie the strings on, it won't be big enough. So I'd just move the secong string down. I would still be exactly
perpendicular to the first string.

Simple, cheap and wonderful! You could use any frame, like a picture frame. The snap-line string I would definently buy because it doesn't stretch very much. Kite string stretches a lot! and you'd have to retie you strings all
the time.
Juli in Kona