[amayausers] Re: How do they do it????

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:05:06 -0400

My suspicions are that the 'winning' bid either shot himself in the
foot or will when he realizes he isn't making any money, OR is a
direct buyer for the goods-deals in large enough volume to buy direct
from the mills. A lot of your larger embroidery and screen printing
shops do this...and then are paying 30% less than you...there's the
profit!
Salem Screen Printers in NH were that big...and buying so much, the
shirt company BOUGHT THEM OUT. I think it was Jerzees or Fruit of the
Loom...so now they not only supply the goods, but own the company!
Was a lot of national sport licenses that went with the company,
million dollar contracts...absolutely NO WAY you can compete against
them. Possible that some textile company also owns an embroidery shop!
For awhile, Alpha Shirt Company ran their own screenprinting shops
under another name-until someone spilled the beans and buyers (like
me) started to boycott them...unfair to compete against your own
supplier for jobs!  Last I knew they closed it down or sold it off.
If you can get some weasel inside to dig out facts for you it would
be worth investigation...either someone has an 'inside' contact to
get a lowball bid, or really underbid so bad it will bankrupt him, or
its a bigger company you can't compete against.
Once in awhile, someone does screw up and underprice by mistake.
Couple of 'garage door' screenshops around here have done it-thinking
it would lead to more business! But they all folded when they didn't
have any profit to hold them while they waited for bigger orders!
good luck...and don't worry about losing a bid-you didn't have the
job to begin with so you lost nothing!