[amayausers] Hooping Sanmar jackets

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:05:10 -0500

Herb, I use the double wood hoops...covered them with strips of the
adhesive backing cut in 1" wide strips-go around the inside (or
outside) and then fold the excess over top and bottom. To hoop the
jackets, I start with the screw loose, enough to get the hoop on and
stay, then reach up inside the lining and tighten the screw right
down. Still end up with paper 'clamps' around the hoop if I think it
might pop off-if a sleeve falls off the table during sewing I've had
it pop a hoop loose. Clamps prevent it-tricky to use the clamps but
make sure you bend the 'bars' down like the little clamps with the
WACF frame.
We'll try the slimline clamp on the jacket fronts-will be running
some this week. I think on the fronts we just go through jacket and
liner over the pocket (right side) but on the left could still get a
small hoop inside the liner. With the slimline-you just going right
through the liner and all? Can't do that on the back-it destroys
enough of the 'insulation' value of the coat they notice it in the
winters here. With the large hoop I was using 3 oz. cutway full
sheet, and just leaving it in there-no trim at all. Gives them back
some insulation that the embroidery takes out of the canvas and makes
a softer liner.
Roland