[amayausers] Re: Hats - WACF

  • From: "John Yaglenski" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:14:36 -0400

By the way... Happy Birthday!

-----Original Message-----
From: amayausers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:amayausers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sharon
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2004 9:51 PM
To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amayausers] Re: Hats - WACF

John,
Are you going to the "Maintanance tab"and " head timing", before you are
trying to adjust the presser foot? You must be in "Maintanance before it
will move. You want the presser foot to be in its upper most position on
most hats. Sometimes if a hat is flagging, you can drop the foot a click or
two but usually not any more than that, especially on six panel caps. It
sounds as if the presser foot is too low and is definitly beating up the cap
surface.

You will notice a little more noise, especially accrosss the center seam.
Always use "sharp needles" not ball points.

Hoop the hats as taut as you can but don't stretch them. Use a backing of
your choice. I most often use a good quality tear-a-way.

Learn to use ( if you haven't already done so) the "Settings by Color" tools
found in the "Settings" menu. this will allow you to custom sew some designs
and letters across the center seam by changing material thickness, column
widths, stitch lenghts, etc.

As far as material thichness, all caps vary for what is required but it
sounds like you are doing the right thing here. If it starts looping, back
it down. Try to sew as loose as you can but not to the point of looping.

As far as digitizing for caps, use the old stand-by  saying--Bottom up and
center out is the sewing order. You want the design to sew from the bill of
the cap to the top of the cap and from the center of the cap out in both
directions, especially on lettering. It is not always possible or practical
to set the design up this way--to sew center out that is.

I have found that because of the cureature of the cap and the way it seems
to strech satin stitches apart, A little heavier density in this area helps
to make it look better. Extra underlay to knock the center seam down helps.
I have even ran several lines of running stitch up and down the center seam
to help fill it up before running underlay back and forth accross it in a
zig zag pattern.

More later, off to my 61st birthday dinner.....hope this helps a little Rod
Springer Melco Trained Technician/Owner (Design Shop Pro+ Digitizing) Boise,
ID
(208) 938-3038
springer37@xxxxxxxxxxxx